Post # 1
I need advice from any Des Moines brides.
We booked our reception venue months and months (well over a year) out. Our wedding was scheduled to take place on September 26 2009. However, we just received a call from our venue saying they are closing at the end of August 09 for major renovations. They do however have some days available earlier in the summer should we want to move our wedding up.
We’ve checked w/ our church and they are available on this particular day and have a call out to our photographers who I believe are also available.
My question to you all is: do you think that we should just switch venues all together (based on the poor foresight of the Hotel in the 1st place)? My fiance seems to think that they don’t deserve our business and that we should find another venue. I had my heart set on this hotel 🙁
In the case that we switch venues, do you all have suggestions about good reception sites in Des Moines?
Post # 3
I really don’t think that the hotel is being unreasonable — they gave you a year’s warning! And they are offering alternative dates, as well. If you have your heart set on the location and are able to change dates without much hassle, I don’t see why you shouldn’t.
Post # 4
I’d have to agree with Caroline. A year is more than enough time to move dates. We had to move our date twice early on, and all our vendors were wonderful about it. Now living in Seattle, I miss IA hospitality something fierce!
However, if you do decide to switch, let us know here at the hive. I have tons of recommendations. 🙂 Good luck!
Post # 5
I agree with everyones comments. One year is plenty of time to move things around! I only had/have 9 months to plan our wedding! It would be a different story if invitations were already sent out, etc.
I totally understand the feeling of having your heart set on a venue… I would go with your gut, and MOVE THE DATE!!!
PS, Guys don’t understand sometimes…that is such a typical guy comment! 🙂