Post # 1
Okay ladies, put your lab coats and stethoscopes on. My fiance has really bad stomach issues. Like really bad stomach issues. IBS all the way. We are planning on going to Mexico (Cabo) for our honeymoon and I’ve heard the water and the food can make you sick. I don’t want him to be sick our entire honeymoon (boo). So what, if anything can we do to prevent this? Any ideas?
Post # 3
Ok, some tips I know from my Egypt-trip (they REALLY have bad water, everyone gets sick!):
- don’t drink tapwater
- don’t even use tapwater for brushing your teeth (use water from bottles instead)
- don’t eat salat (salat is washed with tapwater) – only eat food that has been cooked
- if you really get sick, don’t use the medicine you brought with you, buy some over there. In Egypt our medicine didn’t work, because they have totally different bacteria – their medicine is designed to fight exactly those bacteria. So use it!
I hope that helps a little!
Post # 4
Where in Cabo are you staying and plan on going? I have serious stomach issues too (IBS, gastritis, GERD…the whole gamut) and I went to Cabo last February and didn’t have any problems. Everyone will have a different experience, but I did only drink bottled water, refrained from having drinks that used ice cubes or were frozen drinks, I brushed my teeth with the tap water tho. The hotels there are really nice and clean tho, but just be careful when venturing out to the local areas for dinner/drinks etc. Oh, and I did have seafood and didn’t have a problem. If you have any questions, or want some suggestions, PM me.
Post # 5
Only eat fruit that has a peel or shell.
Post # 6
When we went to Mexico, almost everything was served in a can or in a bottle. You should ask for no ice too. But otherwise, we had no problems. You can get bottled water in almost any country. I would have him ask his doctor what to avoid otherwise.
Post # 7
He could start taking a probiotic before he goes too…
Post # 8
We were in Cancun in November and a few people we went with have stomach issues.
– Drink ONLY bottled water. Their ice cubes are made from bottled/filtered water (they usually have holes in them if their made with filtered water). Even slushy drinks were safe to drink.
– Rince your tooth brush with bottled water (our hotel provided water bottled all the time in our mini fridge). My Dad rinsed his tooth brush and ended up in the bathroom for a bit 🙂
– Use hand sanitizer whenever possible. We had little bottles with us ALL the time and the resort had them all over as well. We even took a travel bottle of Lysol spray to spray down our room
– Watch what you eat – if you’re going to an all inclusive it’s easy to get carried away. My mom has IBS and she ate WAY too much shrimp/greasy foods one night at the buffet and ended up sick in the middle of the night and next day.
– There is an insane amount of fruit around and I LOVE fruit. I got carried away and ate A LOT and ended up suffering. I didn’t feel well for a couple days lol.
– We did eat fresh foods and were fine but we NEVER ate outside of the resort.
– Take different medications with you (advil, pepto, immodiam, cold medication, etc…) Advil, pepto, and immodiam came in handy for us!
I’ve heard that 99% of people end up in the bathroom at least once while in Mexico… it’s just the way it goes 🙂
Post # 9
Great ideas ladies! Thank you so much!!
Hunneybear- we are staying at Capella Pedregal- any ideas about cabo? It’s our first time there.
Ms. DG- can ge get the probiotic from his doctor or over the counter?