- 1 year ago
I could use some advice. We just got a proposal from our caterer and I’m concerned about the number of placesettings and glassware they are planning to rent. I’m worried it’s not enough, but I don’t really know what’s normal.
The proposal is based on a headcount of 150. The caterer is planning to rent :
- 150 place settings of china (dinner plate, salad plate, desert plate)
- 150 place settings of flatware (dinner fork, knife, salad fork, desert fork)
- 180 champagne glasses (150 for setting the table/champagne toast, the rest to the bar for cocktail hour and the remainder of the reception)
- 280 wine glasses (150 for setting the table, the rest to the bar for cocktail hour and the remainder of the reception)
- 270 double/old fashioned glasses for water/non alcoholic and possibly beer (150 for setting the table, the rest to the bar for cocktail hour…)
I feel like there needs to be some extra place settings of china and flatware for accidental breakage, requests for a fresh/clean plate, and people who may opt to get a 2nd or 3rd piece of cake throughout the night. Probably more extra desert plates than anything.
I also feel like the numbers for glassware are really low. I think our caterer is assuming people will keep and re-use their glass and not set it down anywhere and forget it. I’ve been to too many weddings where people abandon a partly-consumed drink to go dance or something and then wind up getting a new/fresh one. Or switch from wine to beer midway through.
If it helps, we’re having cocktail hour (likely 60-75 minutes), followed by a sit-down dinner, then cake and a few hours of dancing. Cocktail hour will be beer, wine, champagne, and 2-3 specialty cocktails… as well as some soft options like iced tea and lemonade. Once dinner starts, we’ll be switching to beer, wine, champagne, and non-alcoholic options, though (This is to comply with a venue rule.)
Maybe the caterer is thinking they’ll wash the glasses from cocktail hour during dinner and recycle them back to the bar?
Do my caterers numbers seem okay, or should I ask them to increase the number of glasses and place settings?
Also, how many sugar bowls and creamers do you think we need for 150 guests?