- 5 years ago
- Wedding: August 2014
We’re having a string quartet for the ceremony and drinks reception, and after lots of research, narrowed it down to two.
Both quartets are very experienced, they’ve been trained at the best music college in the UK, and have played at some major events; the first one has played for Kanye West and Shirley Bassey, as well as on major UK TV shows like Strictly Come Dancing, and the second has also done some prestigious events, and played for the Royals. I have no doubts about their ability, and their sound, from listening to clips and watching videos, is excellent.
Now, we’d decided to go for quartet A, because of the following:
They are slightly cheaper (£650 instead of £690)
They play a wide range of classical and jazz music etc, as well as a really good range of modern music; Quartet B do mainly classical and jazz (though, I wonder if this will be an issue as TBH it’s just for background music; but I did like the idea of throwing in the odd, modern, ‘fun’ song that people will recognise)
They play the song that we want for signing the register; Quartet B don’t have it in their repertoire so we either have to pay them £50 to learn it, or choose something else.
I had a couple of reservations about A, as when I called, she was a bit unprofessional: she had a toddler in the background throwing a tantrum, and asked if I could email her instead. I kind of felt it was unprofessional to answer the phone in the circumstances, and was a bit put out having to email her after I’d already gone through the details; it was more work for me. She was also a bit late replying when I emailed (bearing in mind she knew I was emaling, it took 2 days to respond to a simple quote request).
But, here’s the main thing: we decied to go with them, and asked them to send out the contract. They seemed a bit reluctant (I do get that it’s a year away, but the good musicians we looked at already have bookings for next summer, so I’m reluctant to put it off only to fin we can’t get who we want), and then it didn’t materialise. In the meantime, Quartet B emailed to see if I had everything I needed from them (they’ve been very quick replying and very professional), so, I thought I’d swicth, swallow the extra, and go with them. But, Quartet A have now emailed saying they had ‘technical issues’ and are having to re-write the contract, and apologising for the delay. So, now I’m confused!
What would you do? Go with A, who are cheaper and have more modern music, or go with B, who have been more professional from the off?