(Closed) Help! Ceremony & reception at same location?

posted 7 years ago in Venue
  • poll: What would you do?
    Just have it at the reception hall... 3 hours of dancing is plenty! : (42 votes)
    98 %
    Get married elsewhere and utilize the whole 8 hours for reception time! : (1 votes)
    2 %
    Just suck it up and get married in a non denominational church to make life easier : (0 votes)
    Other (please comment below) : (0 votes)
  • Post # 3
    2849 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

I personally think 3 hours of dancing is plenty, plus your guests will appreciate not having to travel from the ceremony to the reception location. 

Post # 4
    51 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: January 2012

I agree with @Bischon Frise. 3 hours is plenty 🙂 Congrats!

Post # 5
    5886 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2010

You have plenty of time! You will have  45 mins for the ceremony. Then while you are taking pics, your guest will have 1+ hours of a cocktail party (which you will miss). So let’s say that ceremony+cocktails is 2 hours. You’ll have 6 hours for dinner and dancing and that is plenty! 

We only had our place for 5 hours and we had to take the first hour to decorate it, so only 4 hours for ceremony, cocktails and lunch. It was tight, but we did it.

Post # 6
    526 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

8 hours, including a ceremony, cocktail hour, and dinner, is plenty.  Most guests won’t plan on spending more than 8 hours total at your wedding anyways.  Most places I’ve looked at give you 5-6 hours for a reception, which is meant to include dinner, toasts, etc.

You’re looking at about 30 minutes for a ceremony and 1 hour for cocktails/ pictures, which leaves you with 6.5 hours for the reception.  If dinner takes about an hour, that still leaves you 5.5 hours for everything else.  That is a LOT of time.

You should check with the venue about the bar service.  Places here have limits on the number of hours they can serve alcohol, so at most places you have to close the bar for dinner and sometimes before the end of the reception.

Post # 8
    598 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

I’m having my ceremony at my reception site.  I think the guests will be happy with not having to travel and getting to spend the majority of thier time with the two of you

Post # 9
    408 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

I can’t believe you found a BYOB place in Lake Geneva! Kudos to you

Post # 10
    1829 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

That’s definitely more than enough time!   We had our ceremony and reception at the same venue – our ceremony started at 5:30, cocktail hour was from 6 – 7, dinner was 7, dancing and everything to follow, and the reception ended at midnight.  The timing worked out perfectly. 

If you’re really worried, you can make small schedule changes to minimise the time wasted.  For example, as my Darling Husband and I were introduced into our reception room, we walked into the ballroom and headed straight over to the cake table.  The DJ announced we’d be cutting the cake if people wanted to grab their cameras; a lot of people were focused on us at that time so they came over with their camera, we cut the cake, and then sat down.   That saved time after dinner.

For toasts – we only had our fathers, the best man, and the Maid/Matron of Honor.  Each kept their toast under 5 minutes and it worked perfectly.  I think wheen you start having everyone and their brother giving toasts, you add on a lot of unnecessary time.

For dances – we had our first dance, a father/daughter dance, and a mother/son dance.  We omitted the bridal party dance and that saved a few minutes there.  We also didn’t do a bouquet/garter toss as we don’t like that idea, and replaced it with an anniversary dance which kept everyone out on the dance floor.

It’s all the little things you can do to keep things moving and not waste time.  Regardless though, you have plenty of time and as a guest, I always love when the ceremony and reception are at the same venue as it’s so much easier!

Post # 11
    4046 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

3 hours is plenty, you can always plan to have an afterparty at a nearby bar or club if you have very party minded guests.

Post # 12
    77 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

If you and your fiance don’t want to see each other before the ceremony you could still do a lot of the other pictures beforehand…basically everything except you and you’re Fiance seeing each other and that will cut down on the time you have to spend afterward missing the party for pictures.

Post # 13
    2965 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

Thats double the time we get for our venue! We only get 4 hrs for the ceremony AND the reception. Its plenty of time and with these gas prices, the guests will appreciate it all in one location. If you want to do first look pics, that would help with the time.

Post # 14
    505 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: January 2012

I just got married on the beach in Key West.  Our ceremony: less than 10mins! SCORE.  We took photos after on the beach & pier with & without families.  We still had plenty of time for our reception which was at the hotel we were all staying in.  

Plus after we had to leave the reception…most everyone came back to our room and we continued for about another hour.

You have plenty of time 🙂

The topic ‘Help! Ceremony & reception at same location?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors