(Closed) HELP! Confused about the wedding license…

posted 8 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
2362 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010 - New York Botanical Garden

You will have to go the courthouse and get your marriage license ahead of time – usually you should get it within 60 days of your wedding so that it is valid, but that will vary by location.  The officiant will make your wedding legal on the day of, but you will need the certificate ahead of time.  From what I understand, it really only takes a few minutes to go and get the certificate.  Definitely look into your state guidelines for marriage, though.

Post # 4
209 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

You and your Fiance need to go to your local courthouse together and get a marriage license prior to your wedding. Not sure about the guidelines where you are, but you have plenty of time until your wedding, you could go get the license a month before your wedding. I believe you have to give the license to your priest to have him sign it as well as your witnesses. He then sends it back to the state so that they have it on file. Without the license and those signatures your marriage will not be officially recognized by law.

Post # 6
16213 posts
Honey Beekeeper

Yep. You bring the marriage license with you and sign with your best man and maid of honor as witnesses, traditionally.

Post # 8
499 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

It depends what state you’re in, but you may not have to BOTH go to the courthouse.  In Maryland only one party is needed, so I went and got it on one of my days off while Fiance was at work, and we celebrated that night.

The topic ‘HELP! Confused about the wedding license…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors