(Closed) Help! Dog ate pecans

posted 5 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
4354 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Just keep an eye on him. The amount ingested was minimal compared to his body weight. If anything he will get sick naturally. The real dangers is if the nuts he ate are moldy. Just make sure he has fresh water and all should be ok. 

Post # 4
501 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@Mars62312:  I’m not a vet, BUT…a few pieces will probably not affect a 35-lb. dog.  My 64-lb. dog ate six chocolate chip cookies and a brownie, which based on the vet’s calculations was about 4-6 ounces of semisweet chocolate, and showed absolutely no ill effects (and he has doggie IBS, so normally ANY weird ingestion would make him sick).  For dogs his size, the vet said they worry about ingestion of 8 ounces or more.  So for a dog half his size, I’d say less than 3-4 ounces is probably NBD.  That said, if you are a worrier (and I *totally* am!), if you call your vet they should be able to crunch numbers for you like mine did and tell you if any follow-up care is needed.

Post # 5
882 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@Mars62312:  I have had 2 experiences with my dogs eating nuts.  Both times they puked a few hours later.  I don’t have experience with pecans specifically though.

Post # 6
3339 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2013 - Rhode Island

I did a quick Google search, and this is what it said:

“Feeding dogs pecans can cause gastric intestinal upset or an obstruction.  Like walnuts, moldy pecans can contain tremorgenic mycotoxins which can cause seizures or neurological symptoms.”

So, it’s probably fine.  But if you’re really worried, a quick call to your vet couldn’t hurt.

Post # 7
290 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2013



Tree nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, pistachios, and Brazil nuts – are often contaminated with very low levels of the poison Aflatoxin, which comes from the Aspergillus mold.

Although levels are safe for humans, dogs are acutely sensitive to this poison, and even low levels of Aflatoxin can be extremely toxic and lead to complications such as gastroenteritis. Other varieties of nuts such as walnuts can cause various other dog illnesses and dog poisoning.

Nuts also have a high phosphorus content which causes the formation of bladder stones in dogs. Peanut butter (non-salted) appears to be non-toxic to dogs, although peanuts themselves may have ill-effects on your dog. Symptoms of Aflatoxin poisoning include: loss of appetite, lethargy, vomiting, orange-colored urine and jaundice, liver failure, blood-tinged vomit and bloody or blackened stools. Possible Outcomes: Aflatoxin causes severe hepatocellular necrosis (acute liver failure) within 72 hours.

Symptoms of gastroenteritis include: persistent vomiting (sometimes bile may be seen in the vomit), dehydration and watery diarrhea. Lethargy, lack of appetite, stomach grumbling, and general listlessness. Symptoms of bladder stones include: difficulty urinating, frequent “dribbling” urination, bloody urine, painful urination. This results in blockage of urinary tract due to bladder stones. These episodes can be either acute (short lived), or last for several days.

Action: Take your dog to the vet for immediate treatment.
Read more at http://www.dogheirs.com/dogheirs/posts/141-toxic-foods-for-dogs-fruits-vegetables-and-nuts#rUUSxLFAxFoy9wtI.99

Post # 8
9681 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

Okay, wow. I assumed the nuts were chocolate covered and that’s what the concern was. I had no idea dogs couldn’t eat nuts. Our furbaby doesn’t eat people food anyway, but now I know to lock any nuts away!

OP, please call your vet. Better safe than sorry!

Post # 9
8859 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

@Mars62312:  someone dropped a large piece of chocolate cake by the community mailbox.  i was walking my beagle (about 25 lbs).  he lunged for it and ate it.  i thought it was poop at first and i was afriad to stick my hand in his mouth.  when i finally did, and realised it was cake.  most of it was gobbled up. 

i called Fiance in a panic.  he told me the dog would be fine.  he was.

a few little pieces for such a big dog probably aren’t going to do anything.  just keep an eye on him if you are concerned.


Post # 10
2375 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Vet tech here – it’s not a major concern.  Macadamia nuts ARE extremely toxic and that’s a big deal.  Pecans in general are not.  If they’re MOLDY, then yes, they’re toxic.  But I’m assuming you don’t eat moldy food.  If he just licked up a couple of pieces, it’s highly unlikely that it was enough to cause GI upset or an obstruction.  You can certainly call your vet if you’re concerned as well. 

@EquiBee2013:  Also, peanuts/peanut butter are fine for dogs (other than the ridiculously high fat and calories).  The only concern with feeding peanut butter is if your dog has an allergy, which is rare.  It’s far more common to see food allergies to beef, chicken, wheat, corn than peanuts. 

Post # 11
290 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

@MariContrary:  Yes… what I posted said that….


“Peanut butter (non-salted) appears to be non-toxic to dogs, although peanuts themselves may have ill-effects on your dog.”

I copied and pasted from a website. 

Post # 12
467 posts
Helper bee

Also, just FYI, the ASPCA has a pet poison control hotline, 1-800-213-6680.  They charge you a fee, but this saved my parrot’s life once so I think its worth it.  🙂


Post # 13
11233 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

@MariContrary:  + a million

The dog licked up a few pieces of pecans. He MIGHT get an upset stomach.

The topic ‘Help! Dog ate pecans’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors