- 11 years ago
- Wedding: October 2001
I am writing because I searched everywhere on how to make these bouquets, and this topic was a very helpful result for me. So now that my DIY project is complete, I wanted to share how it came along!
I am making this as a surprise for my sister-in-law to be, for her bridal shower and to carry during rehearsal. Her mother and mine contributed some brooches, I bought others. Ebay had some lots very cheap, rubylane has TONS in a great range of prices, as did etsy. I did set a limit per pin up front, but spent a little extra on some special ones (for example, a USNavy pin for my brother, a script rinestone “N” for the bride’s name, a high heel shoe for her love of all things shopping!). Some vendos threw in free extras. I used gold, ivory, pearl, resin, enamel, rinestone, lucite along with her colors of green and pink. I ended up with 28 pins and spent around $160.
Here’s where I searched online. I couldn’t figure out how to assemble it! I thought of using a styrofoam ball (or half) but didn’t want to see it through the pins AT ALL. I tried chenile stems, but they weren’t sturdy enough, and I didn’t like that fuzzy look. I bought two floral bunches with heavy wire stems from craft store 40% off and popped off all flowers and leaves (ones I liked and will use in a wreath later). I cut apart all stems and bent 1/2 to 1″ top at right angle. So far so good!
Now I tried sewing stems to pin arm, taping the pin, and wiring the pin. Nothing held the pin steady (it would wobble side-to-side along pin arm). Got out the hot glue gun. Didn’t want to “ruin” the pins, although they aren’t valuable. Turns out the glue doesn’t stick THAT well, comes off in one piece without damaging pins! And with strategic placement of top of stem (usually alongside pin arm where you can’t see it), this worked VERY WELL. Some heavy pins I used double stems, gluing both stems to same pin back. Very sturdy result.
Now I arranged them like flowers, going in a circle, using florist tape around every 3-5 stems to hold in place. At the end, I used a LOT of tape all up and down length of stems. Then covered with ribbon: hot glue dot to hold end of ribbon, wrap all up and down, then go back over this time twisting twice at the same place each time around for little pizazz and to make ribbon lay flat around the “cone” shape, glue about 1″ from end and again at the end, cut and tuck under. I put another decorative ribbon around in a bow right over top of glued end. Also put a little pin near bow. I pulled pins around a bit to arrange them. CAUTION: pulling on pins will pop them off since glue is very semi-permanent. Move pins by bending their STEMS! They’re harder to glue on once taped into the bouquet!
Tada! MUCH easier than I thought it would be. Hardest part was gluing stems to pins, took maybe 30 minutes. If making a larger bouquet, I might find thinner heavy stems or add wire V-shapes on ends to put 2 pins per stem.
GO FOR IT YOURSELF! You can do this!