- 10 years ago
- Wedding: July 2012
So, I started searching for dresses about 6 weeks ago. I’ve been to 7 Dress stores that I can count, as well as a bridal consignment store. My taste is ALL over the place, and I feel like my attention rapidly shifts from one style to another, with no rhyme or reason. THe only constant is everything I like are strapless dresses!
I FEEL LIKE I’LL NEVER FIND THE PERFECT DRESS! Is there anyone else who has ever gone through this!?
I think my main problem is that I don’t believe I’ll have that moment where I just KNOW the dress is the One, combined with my characteristics of being practical: I’d probably choose a dress that is more affordable vs. a dress that is $2k higher if I liked them equally.
The one thing I think I want, other than a strapless or sweetheart neckline, is a dress with a unique skirt, yet classic enough to still love in 30 years when I look back in pics.. OH and also something I can wear with a jeweled/crystal sash!
To humor you all, here are the dresses that I am seriously considering:
1) This dress caught my eye online so I went in to try it on. White by Vera Wang. One of my favorite styles, however I’m not loving that the bodice doesn’t hug as tight as satin dresses, and I don’t love the gap in the back layers of the skirt:
2) Then while browsing online, I came across the Vera Wang Deidre. I managed to locate one at a consignment store up in LA but the condition was extremely poor. This would have been $1500, but I can’t even find preowned ones for less than $3k. This is the dress on me (someone agree this dress isn’t as awesome as the others?!!):
3) I tried on this next dress three different times at three separate dress stores! I finally realized it was the same MORI LEE # 1664 dress on the third visit! But is it too “plain?” I think I’m Okay with dismissing this one, although I kinda really like the diagonal/criss cross pleats on the bodice-
4) I had bookmarked this ELLA BRIDALS gown and finally found it. I REALLY Liked it.. but is this also too plain?? Here I am in the sample..
5) I had tried the MAGGIE SOTTERO ALANDRA dress on but due to my extreme aversion to Flowers, I think I dismissed this one too quickly. However, it’s got a similar awesome skirt to the White by Vera Wang gown… so its back in the running. i think I’ll try it on again. If I chose this, I would definitely need to remove the flower and add a crystal sash!
6) Next, I am loving this Martina LIana 340 gown. Havent tried it on, but it looks like a good mix of all the things I’m looking for, and I wouldnt need a separate sash.. this one is probably the highest I could spend.. slightly above budget 🙂 I’m unsure how the bodice would fit. From what I’ve seen on “real” brides, it appears to maybe smash down the chest area? Anyone know?
7) Okay, now I’m really starting to like the WATTER TYLER OR MORI LEE (haven’t tried it on) and it clearly needs a crystal beaded sash-
….FINALLY I think that’s it… I feel like it’s easier to ask complete strangers vs. my friends or bridesmaids, because if ONE of them don’t like the dress that I end up choosing, it’ll stick in my mind! What patterns, if any, have you noticed? Suggestions or comments please!! Thanks!