(Closed) Help!!! Is 7:30 too late to serve dinner??

posted 10 years ago in Reception
Post # 32
188 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

I try to eat before 7 on a normal day… but a wedding is a completely different story!  I’d say it’s fine to go with 🙂

Post # 33
14181 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Our ceremony was at 6 and dinner was at 730. It was fine! We mentioned it on the invitations though, so people knew to snack if they wanted to. Some of us (me included) eat at 5 occassionally. Also the older folks.

We had appetizers and punch right after the ceremony at 630 though!

Post # 34
424 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

Doesn’t sound late at all.

Post # 36
512 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

no way. We are having ours around 830 or so.

Post # 37
37 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I didn’t think it was too late either until FI’s family had a fit about it.

Our wedding was going to be set for 6:30pm followed by a 7:30pm reception and Fiance and I thought it was prime. We planned to spend the whole afternoon getting ready and taking our pictures pre-wedding. The church has the most beautiful lighting at that hour and the reception could go til midnight.

When we presented Future Mother-In-Law with this idea, she instantly snapped on us, saying it was rude to keep people that late, no reception site would serve dinner, people would eat before the wedding and our cocktail hour and dinner would be a waste, blah blah blah.

For one thing, if people know they are going to be fed at the wedding, why would they eat dinner before hand, especially knowing they would also have a cocktail hour w/ Hors De’vours. Secondly, if they don’t want to stay til midnight, they don’t have to. They can leave after dinner.

So Fiance and I “compromised” and now we have to get up super early to be ready to go for our 11:00am ceremony followed by our lunch reception. That means that everybody goes home by 6:30pm and eats dinner anyways. Lame!

Post # 38
256 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Not at all!  Our dinner starts at 8pm.  Normal here would be 8 – 9…Anything before 7 would seem ungodly early!  Although, Mrs Bee is right about it depending on where you are.  I see you are from Wisconsin, so am I.  I am always surprised by how early people eat when I go home.  Seems like everyone wants their dinner at 6!  I think 7:30 is probably the ‘time limit’ for Wisconsin but it is not too late.

Post # 39
2889 posts
Sugar bee

Like Mr. Bee said, I think this is super regional. Also, older people like to eat earlier. We are serving dinner at 5 mostly based on sunset but I know my aunts and uncles would find 7:30 too late. Maybe ask your parents for their thoughts on this one, they should have a better idea of what the feedback will look like. I know people who have eaten between the ceremony and reception because they didn’t want to eat so late so that is not unrealistic.

Post # 40
101 posts
Blushing bee

Not at all!  Our cocktail hour is at 6:30, and the dinner will start at 7:30 as well.  They’re going to be stuffed with all of the food offered at the cocktail hour anyway. 

Post # 41
32 posts
Newbee

We’re serving dinner at 9pm… just because that’s how the night fell.

Ceremony 7-7:30, Cocktails til 8:30, then introductions & first dances… which makes dinner served around 9

Post # 42
1896 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009 - St. Thomas of Villanova Church & the F.U.E.L. House

Our dinner’ll start at 6:30 — but 7:30 is definitely still a “normal” meal time.

Post # 43
997 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2010 - The Pierre Hotel

I hope so, because our dinner will be served at 8pm!  Here’s our schedule:

6-6:30pm Invitation time and pre-Ceremony light beverages

6:30-7pm Ceremony

7-8pm      Cocktail Hour

8-12pm     Dinner and Dancing

The topic ‘Help!!! Is 7:30 too late to serve dinner??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors