(Closed) Help! Moving in together-in a studio- less than 600 square feet!Can it be donE?

posted 6 years ago in Home
  • poll: Could you live in a space this small with your SO?
    Yes : (129 votes)
    77 %
    No : (31 votes)
    19 %
    Other : (7 votes)
    4 %
  • Post # 3
    2831 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

I think it can be done! But that rent price shocked me! LOL… I guess that’s New York though!

Post # 4
    13010 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

Fiance used to have a 500 sq foot apartment, and even just spending the weekend there got a little claustrophobic.  It depends on how well you can handle more cramped space, and it you can fit all your stuff, plus his stuff, in there.  Personally, I need lots of space, so it was miserable for me to be there for more than a couple days…

Post # 5
    4159 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

I said other because if I HAD to I could, but I would rather not lol.  Especially after living in a house of over 2000 sq ft of living space.  But it’s definitely do-able with the right storage units and organization!

Post # 6
    4465 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: June 2010

We’ve been living in the city for 7 years.  2 years in 400 square feet, 4 years in 450, and now we’re 1 year in 500 square feet.  Not only can it “be done” but we’re very happy in our small space.

And that rent price is a steal.  I pay more on the UES but I have a two bedroom. But it’s a walkup.  I can’t believe that price for a doorman building.

Post # 7
    2316 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2013 - Old Stone House in Brookyn

Um, an apartment with a Central Park view, gym and a dishwasher for $1,800? Go for it!

Post # 8
    1071 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

It can be done

Post # 9
    583 posts
    Busy bee

I voted “Other” because we could do that without a pet, but we have a dog now so no way.  Our last place was 745 sq.ft. but it had 2 bedrooms, a “hallway”, a bathroom and a dining room.  

Also, I have that same bed in the pictures!

Post # 11
    4371 posts
    Honey bee

What a great location! I think you can totally do it. We lived in a 1000 sq ft place, with 2 rooms, but one br was just storage. Just really downsize what you need and you should be fine. 

We also had animals. But without them, 600 sq ft is totally doable. 

Post # 12
    963 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2011

We did it for 9 months right after the wedding. It was an absolute disaster. Moving in together is stressful enough without being in a tiny space. The thing about a studio apartment is that there’s no privacy. So we were both at home, but wanted some alone time, we couldn’t have it. Also we were on different schedules, so it was virtually impossible to deal with because he couldn’t just go into another room to watch tv while I went to bed early.

Post # 13
    1029 posts
    Bumble bee

I think you can do it. SO and I share a one bedroom with a full kitchen and living room. It’s roughly 1000 sq. ft, and sometimes I feel like we have too much space. It is nice being able to be in the bedroom with the door closed while he’s in the living room, but we rarely even shut our bedroom door so it feels like one big room. I guess if you really needed a breather, you could go in the bathroom and shut the door. Your place is lovely, so I hope you enjoy living there together! 🙂

Post # 14
    5670 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2010

I think it could be done. Just make sure neither of you is a pack rat and are willing to put things in storage that you do not need. Darling Husband and I lived together for the first time in 1400 sq ft and this was our biggest issue. He brought everything he ever owned and had a hard time parting with things that were unnessesary. I just thing clutter could cause a few fights. In regards to living in the tight space you should be fine and if you fight and need a place to walk it off you are in downtown NY.

Post # 15
    835 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

Honey, you have more than enough space and that is a STEAL!!! On Central Park??? Yeah you got a good deal! Studios on central park are selling for easily 2000-2500 on a nice area of central park such as west end ave on upper west side. Its beautiful! Good luck!

Post # 16
    337 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

I think it would be okay depending on how your relationship is with him. But gosh that price is just crazy to me! lol. I know New York is a lot more expensive, I just cant believe thats all you get for almost $2,000.

The topic ‘Help! Moving in together-in a studio- less than 600 square feet!Can it be donE?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors