(Closed) Help! Moving in together-in a studio- less than 600 square feet!Can it be donE?

posted 7 years ago in Home
  • poll: Could you live in a space this small with your SO?
    Yes : (129 votes)
    77 %
    No : (31 votes)
    19 %
    Other : (7 votes)
    4 %
  • Post # 49
    907 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2011

I voted “yes” because of the location.  I actually think it would be quite the adventure and really romantic if you don’t have too much stuff to create a lot of clutter.  My husband and I couldn’t do it just due to too much stuff (We have a smallish house at around 1200 square feet), but I think the location sounds amazing.  Like you said, you can just go down to Starbucks if you need to get away.  It’s totally different living in a small space when you can walk to tons of places versus living in a small space in the suburbs.  I once saw a quote on something in a gift shop that said “Love Grows Best in Little Houses” and it always stuck with me.    I think you should go for it and if you find it to be a miserable experience, then you can give yourself a year to find somewhere new. 

Post # 50
    1513 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

i could never do this. i’d need a seperate room at the very least but some people are way more easy going than i am. if you guys think it can be done,i say try it and if its a nightmare, you know the landlord pretty well, so i am sure he’ll work with you if you need to move!

Post # 52
    2104 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

My friends have done it, in order to live frugally…more power to them!  While my immediate reaction was, “NO WAY!”, I do have to consider people throughout the world live with much less, in terms of space and quality of living.  It’s doable.

Post # 53
    15 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: November 2011

I would say, both of you should have some places in mind to go when it feels too crowded in the apartment.  Like the gym, the rooftop, the library, go for a walk, the park, rollerblading, a friend’s place, whatever…

Also, put both of your things in storage somewhere.  

Post # 54
    2232 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

Totally can be done. We live in 650 sq ft right now and have been living together for 2.5 years. It’s a tight squeeze sometimes but you just have to be creative and make your furniture work for you. We’re getting sick of it now but it’s because we have a million wedding things taking up space & I work from home in our ‘den’/corner.

Just a tip, i would actually not get a bed that has a footer like the bed in the photo. It takes up visual space and makes your eye stop, a bed without a footer gives the impression of more space.

I actually think you have lots of room in there, that living room is a decent size & you can clearly get a dining table (even if a smaller one) in there.

Post # 55
    4192 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: July 2012 - Baltimore Museum of Industry

My grandmother raised 4 kids in a home that size- yes, it can be done.

There are a lot of resources about “living small”- House Beautiful has recently had a great issue, highlighting small spaces. With proper storage and decluttering, you can do it.

Post # 56
    275 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

I’ve done it, kinda doing it now, maybe a little bit more space than you but not by much.

Post # 57
    2116 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

The only thing that would make it really really difficult is that I have 2 cats.

2 cats and 2 humans in that space would be kind of difficult lol.

Post # 58
    4464 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: February 2012

I think it’s not a ton of space but as long as you guys go into with proper expectations, as well as a healthy dose of communication, it can be done. I mean the location itself is amazing and coming from someone who doesn’t live in New York, the location itself sort of does make up for the small space! The rent seems incredibly high but for New York standards I guess that’s not too expensive (I know the cost of living where I am is so different so I can’t even compare). Overall I think you guys could make it work if you’re committed to that space. 

Post # 59
    1021 posts
    Bumble bee

I lived in a studio with an ex boyfriend and it worked out fine. We made a conscious effort to keep it clean and void of clutter, which really helped. I think having a separate sleeping area definitely puts you at an advantage. Just be considerate of each other’s schedules/habits and you should be fine.

Post # 60
    1916 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

Honestly I pay the same amount to live in a two bedroom apartment in Astoria ten minutes from Central Park for the same amount.  I considered apartments in Manhattan, but once I saw what I got for my money, we decided that our relationship and our sanity would be better in more space.  I know it’s a great deal and you have nice amenities, but I would rather have more storage and room.

Post # 61
    316 posts
    Helper bee

SO and I live in a 378sq ft studio for the last year and plan to live here for another year.We spend a lot of time outside. We don’t have an alcove, it’s pretty much just a bedroom with a small kitchen. It can definitely be done! I don’t feel it has impacted our relationship in a negative way at all either. 

The topic ‘Help! Moving in together-in a studio- less than 600 square feet!Can it be donE?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors