(Closed) Help! Moving in together-in a studio- less than 600 square feet!Can it be donE?

posted 7 years ago in Home
  • poll: Could you live in a space this small with your SO?
    Yes : (129 votes)
    77 %
    No : (31 votes)
    19 %
    Other : (7 votes)
    4 %
  • Post # 77
    1416 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: January 2013

I would curtain off the bed area so it feels like it’s own “room”. I live in a one-bedroom (somewhere beftween 750-800 sq ft, in CT about 45 min outside the city so it’s a little less money than your studio) w/ my Fiance and cat, and I do like being able to bring a book into the bedroom and close the door while he watches tv in the living room (and he used to work nights so he needed a bedroom w/ a door and its own blackout curtains so he could sleep while I could come and go) but it’s definitely doable…would I prefer more space than a studio, sure, mostly for all of our stuff though…we’ve acrued a lot after living together for 3 years in relatively large apartments and wouldn’t be able to fit it all into a studio! But it’s definitely doable and that’s a great price for the location!

Post # 78
    2776 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

Fiance and I live in a 450 sq ft apartment in Denver.  At first we almost killed each other but were doing better its a cozy place with a view if the mountains and the cheapest rent without living in a terrible neigborhood.  We had sold all our furniture  before driving across the country so at first we slept on the floor, then we got  futon that was our only piece of furniture.  We saved up for a king size bed made the futon our couch and just recently tossed the futon and got a double recliner.

It looks like you guys have a bit more than that though.  I say it can be done if you are solid and considerate of one another.  We are though currently looking for a house but in the mean time we are content here.

@inky_1:  We have two dogs and its fine.

@Gingernx01:  250 sqft!!!! omg I couldn’t have done it.  If I had to I would really IKEA the place out.

At least its not this apartment: http://thoughtcatalog.com/2011/check-out-this-78-square-foot-manhattan-apartment/

Post # 79
    1663 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

You can do it!  I have lived with Fiance in 550 sq feet (1br) for 2 years.  Yes, I am super psyched to move into our new (much bigger) apartment in a few weeks…. but this little one served us well!  Sounds like you’ll be getting a great deal.

I think the biggest thing is keeping things put away/organized.  In a small space, it gets messy and chaotic VERY fast!

Post # 80
    6659 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: May 2010

Our NYC apartment is 800 square feet and it feels huge. 600 is really big for a studio. I will say though, my first apartment was a one bedroom duplex with no bedroom door (staircase going straight down to the bedroom) and that was an issue. I go to bed earlier than Darling Husband so it’s impossible to sleep when the other person is awake unless they’re being super quiet. When we moved one of my requirements was a bedroom door believe it or not!!

But other than that 600 sq ft is plenty big and as long as you’re willing to sacrifice on closet space it’s totally do-able!

Post # 81
    1375 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

Fiance and I lived for two years in a 300-350 squ. foot apartment.  We’ve upgraded to 750!  Keep in mind that this isn’t forever.

Post # 82
    5543 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: December 2011

Personally, it would never work. But then again I live in an area of the country where that kind of rent gets you a 3 bedroom house with a pool so I can’t fathom that kind of rent on a studio. I also need personal space, if I am irritated at Darling Husband I don’t want to have to stare at him across the only room in the apartment. But power to you if you can manage.

Post # 83
    7369 posts
    Busy Beekeeper

Ummm we lived in a true studio together that was defintely one room with kitchen/sleeping/living. What you posted is more than sufficent. 

Post # 84
    227 posts
    Helper bee

I second the suggestion to check out ApartmentTherapy.com for ideas on how to organize and decorate small spaces. Looking at that site makes me WANT to live in a small space. Fortunately, I live in London, so a small space is all we can afford!

Post # 85
    55 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

My husband and I have been living in my 600 sq ft condo for the past 8 months. It was a little difficult at first, after spending the first year of our relationship in his 4 bedroom house, but we got used to it. 

Post # 86
    661 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

@Tessarie:  How long did it take for you guys to get used to it? Just bracing myself for when the time comes!

Post # 87
    2776 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

@sarahbabs:  Lol yea.  My aunt lived in a studio that was probably around 500 sq ft or so in Manhattan.  I thought it was a lot to pay 1200 for it but over the years that was a steal for a space like that.  She said hers was the last one to be rent controlled so after she left they would renovate it and charge 3000 for the same space.  After seeing that I thought man I could never live in NYC.  

Therefore NYC is my standard for studios so when I found out that was all we could afford in Denver I was scared but then I saw them and my studio looks a lot like OP’s studio, turned to Fiance and said man this a good deal in NYC this would cost thousands.  He just looked at me funny.

@mimi123:  We lived in a 800 sq ft aparment before this one and it took us about 9 months to get used to being in half the space without a defined bedroom, altough the closet is much better in this one.  I think that apartment felt more claustraphobic than this one it was like a big rectangle.  

Post # 88
    4650 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: September 2018

Haha. SO and I live in less than 600sqft.  AND we have a spare room (which just fits a single bed in).  My brother is staying with us whilst he does an internship so there are three of us living here.  It’s more than doable!  Oh and I feel you on the money front.  Ours is over US$2500.

Post # 89
    1812 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: February 2012

It’s a hell of a lot bigger than our first place, and still larger than our current home which is a maisonette. The old plac was literally room for a bed, kitchen table with 2 chairs and a small oven.  We loved it, every night we snuggled up in bed to watch TV, or read a book, have a glass of wine.  One thing we did argue about was the level of tidyness of one of us (me!)  I’m not the best about putting things away, so we did argue about this, and I had to sort myself out.  You’ll be fine!

The topic ‘Help! Moving in together-in a studio- less than 600 square feet!Can it be donE?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors