(Closed) Help!! Name change needed NOW!

posted 8 years ago in Legal
Post # 4
622 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2011 - Vandiver Inn

This shouldn’t be a really big deal. You’ll want to contact your local courthouse, and if you can, try to call the office of the Prothonotary directly since that’s likely where you need to be. They’ll tell you the details.

After you have a legal name change document from them, you’ll need to go to your local Social Security office and have your name changed in their records. Then you can go and have your license or state ID changed. After that anything like bank accounts, credit cards, loans, etc. can be handled.

Hope that helps!

Post # 6
3526 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010


Are you planning on taking your husband’s name in any way shape or form after the wedding? If you are I would hold off on that to save costs.

I’m in NY State and it’s costing me close to $700 to fully and legally change my name. I still have to change my naturalization certificate which will cost $345.

Filing fee for Name Change, DMV fee, Passport name change fee, etc etc.

In your case in your petition for a name change I would include some proof of your mom’s maiden name that was your name (birth certificate perhaps) and write out a letter indicating why you petitioning for the name change.

Post # 9
1729 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

@sleepingbeauty88:  I’d look up the next of kin laws in your state to see wha ‘rights’ he would ahve over you and your estate should you be in medical care but unable to make your own decisions, and also his inheritence rights… AND also, what liabilities you could have as his legal daughter – are you in any way responsible for any debt he incrs… that kind of stuff.  If it looks like he’s got far more potential power in your life than you can handle, set an appoontment with an attorney and look into what needs to be done.  Also, I know I’ll sounds like a commercial, but you ‘might’ be able to take care of some things via a website like legalzoom.  I keep hearing about them and am planning on using them to set up s living will so my a$$hat of a biological father won’t have any rights to make decisions for me should I be unconcious.  I suppose, since my SO has colder feet than the Ice Age, I should look into a power of attorney for my SO should I be out of commission (In my state, my dad and mom – both nuts – are still my legal next of kin.  They trump my Boyfriend or Best Friend in all matters should I get hurt or die, and could probably contest any insurance or retierment earnings I’ve set him as the beneficiary for.)

In Texas, next of kin goes:






Domestic Partner




So look into the name change if you’re not sure how long you’ll have to wait until you can be Mrs Hislastname, and then see about your state’s laws about parental powers and obligations for grown children.

The topic ‘Help!! Name change needed NOW!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors