(Closed) HELP! Receiving line? How should I greet my guests!? 3 hour reception,250 guests

posted 5 years ago in Reception
Post # 2
665 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

We are releasing the rows from the ceremony. After we walk down isle we will come back to release the rows. Quick congrats and a hug. We also have 250 people and wanted something quick. 

Or I have seen  where the head table or sweatheart table has a sign and 2 chairs that says “stop by and say hi” So guest can come up to talk to you as they please through out dinner.

Post # 4
3064 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

dulcegozo:  we walked around during dinner to each table and thanked them all for coming. It worked great. We had 140 people.

EDIT: I would not have them stop by the table… you would never be able to eat. lol

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  Boxerlover24.
Post # 6
3064 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

dulcegozo:  I don’t really remember, maybe half hour tops? We were then able to sit and eat uninterrupted. 

We also took family picutres before so I didnt have to hang around the extended family tables too much cause I had already seen them. 

Post # 7
918 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2015 - Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception / Courtyard Marriott Legacy Ballroom

We had a little over 250 people at our 4 hour long reception, and our plan was to walk around table to table to greet everyone after we ate, but a combination of some people leaving early and people stopping to talk to us while we were getting cake completely stopped us. By the time we got back to the reception room, pretty much everyone was gone! We only ended up talking to two or three tables (out of 31). People who left early sought us out – some coming to our table to say a quick congrats and bye + a picture. Everyone else caught us when we in the area where the cake was served, which was the wide hallway right outside the ballroom, and also the way out for people who were leaving. So we ended up doing something like a receiving line, but while everyone was leaving instead of when everyone arrived! We missed talking to a handful of people, but overall, I think it worked out

Post # 8
1332 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

dulcegozo:  We had 200 guests at a 5-hour event, and the task of ‘receiving’ guests was still really hard (not to be a Debbie Downer), and by receive I mean we did the following, and I felt pretty good with it.  We ate first, and then visited tables of those people we knew would be a) ‘offended’ by our lack of etiquette or b) not on the dance floor.  We only spent maybe 30 minutes doing that, because they were eating, and not interested in interrupting their dinners to take pictures, etc (which, I highly recommend!!).  That really included our elders, and/or families/friends that traveld/we do not see often.  So, maybe 6-7 tables at 5 minutes at a time.  

My motto for everyone else was see ya on the dance floor!!!  I made it a bigger point of dancing with everyone who came out on the floor (group jumping, etc).  And, I limited our slow songs to I think 2 the entire night to not feel like it had to be awkward slow dances.  I thoroughly enjoyed our reception, I think, because I took a lot of the socialization pressure off of me.  I felt I was still really social though, while doing what I love!!

The topic ‘HELP! Receiving line? How should I greet my guests!? 3 hour reception,250 guests’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors