- 7 years ago
- Wedding: May 2012
My Fiance and I have gone back and forth over this and neither of us can decide. We have a plan A, a plan B, and a plan C for our wedding reception, based on our budget.
Plan A-catered sit down reception with a full open bar at a nice reception hall about 3 miles from the church-this is our most expensive option, and IF we go with this, we need to move the wedding date back 6 months (probably to 05/05/12) to be able to save up for this.We would have a DJ or a band for entertainment.
Plan B-reception at the country club that FIs parents belong to. Venue is 35 miles from our church where the wedding is taking place, and smaller than the reception hall, so we would have to cut our wedding guest list from 150 to 100 people. But since FIs parents are charter members of the country club, the space would be free and they get a percentage off on the catering/bar. This is affordable, and in our price range, and we would not have to change our planned wedding date of 11/11/11. With this option we could afford a DJ too. This is our moderately priced, but not impossible option.
Plan C-Wedding reception in the basement of the church. This is actually a very nice space, as nice as the hall we were considering. We could hire a cheaper caterer (we have one in mind, that does homestyle food we both like and is affordable) and have a buffet reception. Instead of a DJ or band we would set up our own playlist and have one of FI’s nephews handle the music for the dance. Downside is that the church does not allow any alcohol on the premises-at all. So no bar. Plus side, I could afford to put more money into decor and get something fun, like a photobooth or set a candybar. With this option we would not have to change our wedding date either.
So there we are. We keep going back and forth between these options. Ideally I would love plan A, if we didn’t have to push the wedding back. I just hate the idea of changing the wedding date at this point. Option B is affordable but I am not sure if it is worth it due to having to cut our guest list and requiring everyone to drive 35 miles to get to the reception. I would be fine with plan C except for the alcohol issue-although cutting the alcohol budget actually lets me do a few extras that wouldn’t have been able to afford otherwise.