(Closed) HELP! Regarding taxes / SSA birthdate change – Legal Bees?

posted 8 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
1940 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

If she doesn’t have another original birth certificate, it might be time to request a new one.  My mom had mine somewhere and couldn’t find it, so I had to request a new one.  I think it took 2 weeks to arrive.  I would get another original birth certificate and personally go down the SSA office to get the issue resolved in person.

Edit: I’m not a lawyer… just sharing my experience.

Post # 7
1553 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

**This is not legal advice. I do not practice in your state, nor in the area of tax. No attorney/client relationship exists.  This is just my personal opinion of what I’d do if it were me in this situation.**

I think if I were her, I’d get another copy of my birth certificate and take care of this in person (like EvaBostonTerrier said).  In the meantime, I’d also file a 4868 (Extention of Time to File) with the IRS to get an additional six months to file the income tax return.

She needs to know though that the extension is an extension of time to FILE, not to pay, so she still needs to do her return to see if she owes and will  have to send in the payment by April 18 if she does.  She also needs to check to see what she will need to do to get an extenstion of her state and local return

Post # 9
7975 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

Can she file for an extension on her taxes until she gets this figured out?

Post # 10
10366 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

It seems like she should be able to get a tax extension for this. I would look into that. Might take some of the pressure off!

Post # 11
119 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

@Neva: I agree with, but if your friends get an extention for filing her taxes she also needs to file an extention to pay taxes is she owes taxes. If your friend owed taxes and got an extention to file but not pay, she could be subject to penalties and fines on the taxes owed but not paid. 

The about article is a little old but explains the procedure for getting extentions to file. 



Note: This is not legal advice and I do practice tax but I don’t practice in your state. 

The topic ‘HELP! Regarding taxes / SSA birthdate change – Legal Bees?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors