(Closed) HELP! Seeking Advice…

posted 9 years ago in Ceremony
  • poll: Should I rearrange the date to get the dream venue or go with a more than acceptable runner up?
    Keep trying dates until the DREAM venue is available. : (20 votes)
    63 %
    Choose an ALTERNATIVE venue & stick to your date. : (12 votes)
    38 %
  • Post # 3
    Member
    1379 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: January 2010

    Congrats on the engagement and welcome to the hive!

     Well … I’m the only vote so far so it’s pretty obvious what I picked — I’d stick with your date, and look for another location. I think you’ve had your heart and mind set on this place so you’ve possibly overlooked some other amazing venues.  I’m sure you can do everything you planned to do at this location in another place. May 2010 is still pretty far out, you should be able to get another great location, possibly even better!  Think of it this way, if all these dates are booked, it must be a pretty "typical" place … maybe you could find something off the beaten path and make your wedding more unique and more "you".

    But, of course, it’s your wedding.  Talk with your fiance, talk with your family, see what they think.

    Good luck!

    Post # 4
    Member
    2004 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 2008

    If you really want this venue, why not just find out what they have available? The weather is nice in Charleston for so much of the year. You can find out the average weather for every day of the year on weather.com. If they’re really yucky dates, then I would look for another venue.

    Post # 5
    Member
    44 posts
    Newbee

    Have you looked at other venues yet?  If you have and BHP is still you’re number one choice I say ask what Saturdays are available and change your date. 

    If you haven’t looked at other venues yet, I would suggest you keep your date and look at other venue options.  The first day that we started looking at venues we LOVED one location and they told us that we would be 3rd on the list of people interested in the venue, we put our names down for another date later in 2010 (you were allowed to hold a date for 7 days without a deposit).  Then as we started looking at more and more venues and we found one that we loved even more, it costed less that was available for our original date.  

    Post # 6
    Member
    225 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2009

    Congrats on your engagement! Does they date have significance to you? Have you thought of having a Sunday wedding? Maybe even a holiday Sunday? Or maybe the less popular Friday or Monday wedding? (I’m a Monday bride)

    I think that you can find another venue, but I think you’ll always want what you couldn’t have.. "settling". 

    Keep looking, maybe you’ll find something better! But ALSO keep your options open.. don’t nail yourself down with an exact date!

    Post # 7
    Member
    5399 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

    Maybe you can see what dates they do have available during times when you may want.  You know, if you book them during a non-peak wedding time you may even save yourself some $$$.  If this place is truly your dream, then don’t give up on your dreams.

    Post # 8
    Member
    2641 posts
    Sugar bee

    Oooh, I know the place you’re talking about.  That’s where they filmed North and South.  It’s very cool.  With that said, I would probably work the wedding around BHP.  But you probably just pro/con which is more important, the date or the venue.  Could you ahve it in January?  Could you have it on a Friday or Sunday?  Your guests might have difficulty making odd times or days, but it all goes in to figuring out what’s important.  I’m sure I’m not objective, but for BHP, I’d take a week’s vacation to go to your Wednesday afternoon wedding.  Maybe it’s just me.

    Post # 9
    Member
    343 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2009

    If I were in your situation, and it really were my dream venue, then I would pick a date around when the venue is available.  I am definitely the type of person where if I didn’t get my "dream venue," I would think about it for a loooooooooong time.  That’s just me, though!

    Post # 10
    Member
    1428 posts
    Bumble bee

    mdc – have you checked out Magnolia Plantation? It’s out past West Ashley, while I LOVE BHP, Magnolia is also beautiful & might be worth checking out too, their gardens are gorgeus, the photo ops there IMO are spectacular.

    Post # 11
    Member
    253 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2009

    I’d look for an alternate venue, but that’s my personal opinion.  My advice is to think really hard about how much you want to be married, and how soon.  I’ve had a long engagement and my wedding isn’t until October, and I HATE being engaged at this point.  I just want to be married.  Fiance and I have even talked occasionally about going to City Hall and getting married now, because we’re tired of waiting.  For us, the timing had nothing to do with venue availability, and I know that if we’d pushed out date out any further because of that, I’d be hella resentful right now.  But, like I said, this is my own situation and you might feel differently — but since you asked, I just thought I’d put it out there.

    Post # 12
    Member
    2434 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2008

    What about trying your dream venue on a Friday night, Sunday, or Monday of a holiday weekend?  The bonueses of the off days are they are more likely to be available and usually are cheaper.

    Post # 13
    Member
    1428 posts
    Bumble bee

    @Tanya123 (LOVE your name btw…my BFF is a Tanya)…that’s why I made my friend take me to BHP coz that’s where North & South was filmed…I lived in Ireland when that was first on TV & thought someday when I go to America I will go there…one of the happiest moments of my life…that & the day I drove up the driveway at South Fork LOL!!!

    Post # 14
    Member
    133 posts
    Blushing bee

    Could you ask BHP to call you in case there is a cancelation? People break off engagements or cancel events all of the time. Would you consider a non-Saturday wedding?

    If you really, really love it, then I think it’s worth waiting a month or two to see if something becomes available.

    Post # 15
    Member
    222 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2009

    If you aren’t COMPLETELY against it, I would do a Sunday wedding. Not only will your venue most likely be open, but it will probably be cheaper too!!! 🙂

    Post # 16
    Member
    400 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2009

    I didn’t read all the responses, so I apologize if someone’s already said this.

    Is the date or the venue more important to you?
    If it is the date- choose a different location. If it’s the location, choose a different date.

    Good luck 🙂

    The topic ‘HELP! Seeking Advice…’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors