(Closed) HELP – should I be legally married already?

posted 8 years ago in Ceremony
Post # 3
5388 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

You are right! You go pick up the license (check with your state to see what the waiting period is), get married, and sign it on your wedding day.

Post # 4
2006 posts
Buzzing bee

Nope you have it correct. Go get your marriage license at city hall. You will take that paper with you to your church and after the ceremony you, your husband, the priest, and your two witnesses will sign it. Your priest will then mail the license back in and you will receive your offical marriage certificate in the mail a couple of weeks later!

Post # 6
2006 posts
Buzzing bee

You don’t need any witnesses to get the license.

Post # 8
18637 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Your officiant should be the one to legally certify your marriage and return the marriage license to the county where you are getting married.  Don’t worry!

PS – You might need your SS cards to get your marriage license, different counties have different rules on what you need.

Post # 9
10366 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

The priest will be legally marrying you, no need to panic! You don’t need witnesses to get your license (just whatever the county you are getting your license in requires – it varies!). We also were able to prepay/preorder our marriage certificate copies, which was nice, at the time we got our license (but that was in CA). Just double check the requirements of the county you are going to, it’ll make you feel better 🙂

Post # 10
690 posts
Busy bee

It’s like this in some European countries, you have to have a civil ceremony before you can have a church ceremony, and they each serve a different purpose (legal vs. religious).  But in North America, priests are ordained to perform the legal portion of the marriage while doing the religious part.

The topic ‘HELP – should I be legally married already?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors