(Closed) Help, throat is getting sore & i cannot get sick! Home remedies?

posted 8 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
2271 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

500 mg. Ester C, every 4 hrs. is what I use. Up protein consumption and skip dairy.

Post # 4
2867 posts
Sugar bee

Honey with Lemon Tea. Whiskey. Halls fruit breezers+tons of vitamin C.

Personally the first and last are my favorites.  I hate alcohol.

Post # 5
4385 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Hot water with lemon!!

Post # 7
4693 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I always gargle salt water when I’m getting a sore throat and it helps get rid of it faster.  Tastes horrible, but it works! 🙂

Post # 8
2781 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Hot water with lemon and honey and a bit of paracetamol if you can get it. Or Lemsip, but I think you can only find that here in the UK.

Post # 9
5093 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 2012

Dairy makes the goop on the back of your throat stickier and thicker.  It’s the worst thing you can do for your throat, even on a normal day, which is why most singers and actors won’t drink milk or milk products for several hours before they go on stage.

Ginger tea can work really well, too.  Also orange juice.  The acid helps your throat, AND you get tons of vitamin C.

Make sure you’re drinking tons of liquids, take it easy, and try to eat, even if you don’t feel like it (hint: chicken noodle soup is liquid, nutrients, AND calories, which is why it’s the best).

Post # 10
713 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Lemon for sure. But since its 29 days away – I’d recommend vitamins as well. Vitamin C like bluespurrs said. And maybe some echinacea or “Cold FX” (maybe only available in Canada…) And of course try to eat well and sleep lots! I know that’ll be hard so close to the wedding – but it will help more than anything else! 

Post # 11
549 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Another at home remedy is to boil 2 cups of water, add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 2 teaspoons of maple syrup and the juice of one lemon.  Gargle this often, and sip throughout the day as well.  It doesnt taste incredible, but it’s manageable.  Make a couple batches if you need, and consume/gargle it for a day or two, and you will have no problems!  I lived with strep throat for 2 months before a naturopath recommended this to me, and it’s a LIFESAVER!!!  (even antibiotics didnt work as well)  The hot water and lemon juice soothes the throat, the cayenne kills bacteria and viruses and the maple syrup coats the throat so it can heal!!  It’s AMAZING!!!!!  Goodluck!

Post # 12
2090 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

if you like/can handle spicy foods, get to your nearest Thai place and get some spicy Tom Yum soup!!!!! always makes me feel better, and clears out any congestion I have.

Post # 13
3167 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

crap. my allergies are giving me a sore throat (i HOPE it’s the allergies anyway) and i’m guzzling coffee with half and half since i’m so tired at work. :/ switching to tea after this cup!!!

Post # 14
46328 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I know you asked for home remedies, but I suggest you also look at a legitimate source of health information for 2 reasons-to help you decide if and when you may need medical attention; and home treatment that may help.

http://www.healthlinkbc.ca has a symptom checker

Click on the Learn tab on the home page, choose the appropriate body part(neck and throat), pick sore throat, then do the symptom check. After you are done it will make a recommendation and also give you home treatment info.

Post # 15
3176 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Vitamin C and echinacea are good vitamins to take.

I get strep at least 6 times a year (don’t have time to get my tonsils out), when my throat starts hurting I drink Throat Coat tea. It’s amazing! You can get it at pretty much any grocery store. http://www.tealand.com/ThroatCoat.asp

Post # 16
241 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2009

Gargle with salt water

The topic ‘Help, throat is getting sore & i cannot get sick! Home remedies?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors