(Closed) HELP!…At what time should i have my make-up and hair done for a 5:30 ceremony?

posted 9 years ago in Beauty
Post # 3
1276 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

for a 4:30 ceremony I have my bookings starting at around 10AM (can’t remember exactly the time, maybe 10:30).  Basically, work backward.  Give yourself ~2 hours at the ceremony site to chill with Bridal Party and family and get dressed.  Hair and make-up will take about 2-2.5 hours.  Then transportation time (for me almost an hour). 

So maybe 12-12:30 at the latest depending on how far apart things are.

Professional make-up should continue to look fresh the whole day…so you shouldn’t have to worry about that.

Post # 4
2681 posts
Sugar bee

My ceremony is at 6pm and I am starting my hair and makeup between 2 and 2:30 so we can be at the site at 4 or so to take pictures.  My maids are getting their hair and makeup done starting at 10am but it also depends on how long your makeup and hair artist take per person.  Definitely leave yourself for last!

You can also ask your hair stylist and make up artist what they recommend.  Let them know your ceremony time and what time you will need to be done in order to have enough tiime to get to your location, take pics then relax before the ceremony.

If its in the budget and your stylists offer it, you can have your makeup artist stay from right before the ceremony until after your pictures are done to do touch ups.  This is what I am doing because I know I will cry away all my eye makeup and kiss away all my lipstick ha.

Post # 5
456 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

I would talk to your photographer about it, as well as the hair and make-up folks. My photographer is actually completely dictating our day-of timeline, because he knows how long it normally takes for the things he does.

That being said, for my 2 pm wedding, my hair and make-up start at 8:30. We’re doing a ton of our photos before the ceremony (just me, me and FH, me and BMs, him and GMs, formals of whole wedding party, and formal family), and we’re going a few different places to take them. So we needed a lot of time. My hair/makeup chic is a friend, so she’s staying from 8:30 till the second I walk down the aisle, so I don’t have to worry about it getting messed up between pictures and the ceremony.

HTH!

Post # 6
426 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

Get your hair and makeup done as late as possible while still leaving yourself enough time to get to your venue and change into your gown.  Allow a little extra time then you might think, you never know.  Its better to be ahead of schedule then running behind.

I would give your artist 1 hour for your hair and 45-60 mins for makeup.  This really may depend on your artist, but I think that is a average time frame for bridal hair and makeup. 

My ceremony and reception is at a hotel and I am getting my hair done at the hotel.  The ceremony is at 6:00 but we are having pre-wedding pictures taken at 4:00.  I am getting my hair and makeup done at 1:30.  That gives my artist 2 hours to perfect my hair and makeup and then about 1/2 hour to get dressed and walk down to the hotel lobby for photos.  

Post # 7
1230 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

My ceremony began at 5:30  and I had my hair done at 11 am and make up done at 12.  I did this because we did most of our pictures before the ceremony (beginning at 2:30).  I touched up my make up a bit before the ceremony – but it really held up well throughout the day.  Professional make up always does better than DIY make up.  My hair should have been touched up when I took off my veil around 9:00 pm – but I didn’t bother – i was too busy enjoying my reception at that point.  Looking back at some later pictures – I wish I would have though!

Post # 8
601 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

our ceremony was at 7pm and I did h/mup at 3pm.  took about 2 hours to do h/mup and was back at our location (very close to salon) by 5:15 to get dressed.

Post # 9
397 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

My ceremony is at 5pm and our hair/make-up is at 11am.  The Bridal Party and I are going to lunch between 1:30ish-2:30ish, then be at the site by 3pm to get dressed.  Maybe that helps a little?  I’m not doing pictures until after the ceremony.  I think hair & make-up should be fine at 2:30 no matter what time in the morning you do it!

Post # 10
52 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

I was also trying to figure out what time I should have my hair/make-up done.  This has helped me out a lot.  

Post # 11
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Well, my ceremony is at 6pm. We’re doing pics at 430pm. My girls are starting hair at 8am so I can start at 11 or 1130am. My makeup is right after, then home for lunch (about 1-1.5 hour break) and then off to the place to put on dresses and do hair/makeup

Hair especially is fine, the earlier you do it. Makeup, depending on who you go with and waht kind you are doing (for instance if i did it myself i’d look greasy 2 hours later but with the professional i saw i slept in it and wasn’t greasy after 15 hours), you will be fine. 

The topic ‘HELP!…At what time should i have my make-up and hair done for a 5:30 ceremony?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors