(Closed) Helpful TTC/ Q&A Website

posted 7 years ago in TTC
Post # 3
1660 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

@MCC919: thanks! Do you usually have spotting, or  just this month?

Q. What does spotting mean during the luteal phase or rather before a period?

A. Spotting can mean a variety of different things, however know that spotting before a period is NOT left over blood from last cycle, that isn’t how it works. If you have a shorter luteal phase, and you spot a few days or more before your actual period starts you need to have your progesterone levels tested during your cycle. Is how it works, is that the closer you get to your next cycle, your progesterone will drop and start to decline, and your estrogen will start being the dominant one, which is what causes the spotting, or rather the bleeding- the start of your new cycle. Now if you have a normal set luteal phase, about 13, 14, or even 15 days, and you spot about a day or two before your period, this is fine. However if you have a 12 day or under luteal phase and youi start spotting a few days before your period, get your progesterone checked, this could be a type of luteal phase defect, because you can implant as late as 11 days passed ovulation, and you need progesterone to sustain the pregnancy.

I have been wondering about this, as this cycle and last I’ve had spotting for a few days before my period. My LP seems to be 12 days. Last cycle I spotted 10 – 12 DPO. This cycle I spotted 8-9DPO but not yesterday or today. Is this something I should just keep an eye on, or should I ask my PCP for a progesterone test, or should I see some other doc? At my annual exam, the nurse said to try for a few months before charting or anything (and to seek help in not PG after 6-8 mo), but I can’t seem to be that relaxed about it since I feel like we are on a time crunch (since I’m almost 34 and want 2-3 kids). So I’ve been charting, etc. anyway. My Darling Husband is getting really annoyed with me though, saying I need to stop reading and just relax! He thinks it will be super easy to get pregnant and does not get why I feel the need to visit this site, read TCOYF, etc!

Post # 4
784 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

Thank you so much for this!!!! Am preparing to TTC in 2.5 months. This was helpful!

Post # 5
2538 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

@78h2o: I have always spotted since getting off BC (the same time as you – a couple of days before AF).  I thought it was no big deal, but it really seems to be associated with low hormones.  Clomid lengthened my LP and stopped the spotting (from like 11 days to 14).  I would ask about it sooner than later.

Post # 7
1660 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

@MCC919: Yeah, that’s kind of what I have this month too – brownish or pinkish CM. Last month it seemed a little bit more like what I’d think of as spotting.

@JaneyD: I appreciate your advice. I scheduled a physical with my PCP in February because it’s been a couple years since she checked my cholesterol, thyroid, etc. I’ll ask her about it then and maybe look into scheduling with a RE after that, since I can always cancel the appointment if my PCP doesn’t think it’s necessary or can order the tests herself.

Post # 9
824 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2010

@MCC919: thank you for posting this site! i read alot on their today.  if i get a BFN this weekend i will be scheduling an appointment with my doctor.  i think it’s my progesterone.

Post # 10
9482 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

I had no idea that salvia kills sperm.  It suggests to stay away from oral while TTC.  Poor Fiance.  He’s not going to like this news.

The topic ‘Helpful TTC/ Q&A Website’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors