(Closed) Hemming a Casablanca 1827

posted 9 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
1369 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

You could try heels or a crinoline to pick it up a bit.

I think the best thing to do is just talk to someone at the bridal store and see what they suggest. They will probably let you try on shoes with various heel heights and different types of crinolines. If the alterations are going to be too expensive look around for local a seamstress.

Post # 4
160 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Yay! Dress twin!!! I also need to have my Casablanca 1827 hemmed. Similar to you, I got my dress at a steal, but now I have to pay to have it altered.

I am planning on having my seamstress add a lace edging (since the only thing I don’t like about the dress is the unfinished edge of the lace). I am hoping to do something with sparkles to match the sparkle in the dress.

I’m meeting with the seamstress soon to make sure she can do the alterations I need. I’m interested to hear her thoughts as well as how to hem the lace on that dress.

Post # 5
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I paid almost $300 (ouch!) to have my 1827 bustled, taken in at the bust, and have ~2″ taken in at the hem. Its a lace applique, so the seamstress removed the applique, basted the tulle/netting layer to the right height and basted the applique back on. At my next fitting we verified the dress length with my shoes on, and then she cut the netting layer and sewed on the appliques.

I had special ordered my dress without beads, so that was one less thing to worry about. For anyone looking into a custom order with the Casablanca factory, it cost me $75 and if my bridal shop was looking out for me we could have gotten a custom length along with the other mods.

Post # 6
6112 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

I have a very similar Casablanca gown (1769) with a detailed scalloped lace hem applique and no waist to cut into.  I really did not kow what I was going to do.  I had several seamstresses discuss various option, all seemed like a roal PITA. 

Then at one shop, they insisted I try some hoop skirts and 2.5 in heels and that fixed it all!  I really thought I needed 6 inches hemmed.  I am so glad I don’t need any hemming now.

Post # 7
747 posts
Busy bee

I’m in the same situation, just bought a used Casablanca 1827 and need to have it hemmed about 4″ or so. Any ideas, other than buying a new lace trim for the bottom?

The topic ‘Hemming a Casablanca 1827’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors