Heterozygous for one copy of the the MTHFR C677T variant?

posted 2 years ago in TTC
Post # 2
6667 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2015

I start by saying I know absolutely nothing about this, but at least commenting will keep you near the top of hte page and maybe someone who does will sign on.  If I’m understanding, is it that you can’t process folic acid correctly?  If so, just eating the natural foods should be a help.  I’ve always been skeptical of FA… it’s folate that we need – folic acid is a synthetic they can’t call folate because it isn’t.  So when I was pregnant (and keep in mind I’m one of the lucky ones who didn’t have issues so it may very well be different for your situation) I stayed the hell away from prenatal vitamins.  I drank green smoothies almost daily (skipped a lot in the winter because it was cold and I’m a slacker).  Spinach, kale, things like that are full of folate.  Add in some strawberries and peaches and it tastes fine.  Talk to your doctor first, but that might be a better option for you.

Looking it up to see what it was, I found this article, which perhaps you will find useful (still Dr knows best before necessarily taking the advice here) http://mthfr.net/mthfr-c677t-mutation-basic-protocol/2012/02/24/

good luck to you!

Post # 4
1480 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2018

Hi bee, I’m sorry I don’t know anything about that gene. I just wanted to address something the pp said. Folate is just folic acid without one hydrogen atom. When acids dissolve in water, they lose a hydrogen and turn into their -ate version. In the body, folic acid and folate are the exact same thing because we are basically made of water.

Post # 5
476 posts
Helper bee

Hi bee! I tested positive for this as well when I had testing for recurrent miscarriages.

According to my doctor, one copy is really common and therefore I didn’t need to do anything. I was already on a natural prenatal that contained folate instead of folic acid but I also added in an additional 800mcg of folate on the advice of another doctor (so many conflicting opinions!) as I knew it couldn’t hurt. No idea if it helped as I was on quite a detailed treatment plan, but I’m now 30 weeks pregnant after four miscarriages. 

Post # 6
3008 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

sparkosity :  I am not a biochemist, but I have the mutation that the OP is talking about. From what I’ve read, people with MTHFR mutations like C677T cannot convert folic acid to folate very well because we have less active MTHFR (methylene tetrahydrafolate reductase enzyme) to produce 5-methyltetrahydrofolate. It is more complicated than just being made of water….

gr8tful4friendships :  Hi! First off, I am so sorry for your loss. So, I’m homozygous for C677T, so I have two mutated copies. I have thankkfully never had a miscarriage and I have two healthy children. I  was tested for MTHFR mutations when I was 5 months pregnant with my second baby, after finding out that I had a B12 deficiency (pernicious anemia), Vitamin D, and folate deficiency. I eat a healthy diet and had been taking prenatal vitamins for several years at that point, so the deficencies were unexpected. I was also having insomnia, anxiety, depression and exhaustion. I started taking Enlyte-D, which is a medical food (vitamin) for people with MTHFR mutations. At first I needed a prescription, but you can order it from the company now if you give them the name of your medical provider. I started feeling better soon after and after a couple months on the vitamin I felt SO MUCH better. Anyway, I’ve read that about 70% of people are heterozygous for these mutations- they are very common and since you have one normal (what they call “wild type”) copy of the gene, it is probably not the cause of your miscarriage. Being homozygous for C677T is related to RPL in non-Caucasions. One miscarriage is probably just bad luck, sadly. However, you can definitely start taking B vitamins in their methylated forms and folate instead of folic acid, it won’t hurt you. Look for methylcobalamin instead of cyanocobalamin. They usually have the forms of those vitamins at health food or natural food stores. Since I know my two kids are at least heterozygous for the mutation, I make sure to give my older son (he’s three, the younger one is still breastfeeding and not taking any vitamins yet) a methylated/folate vitamin. We buy gummie Smartypants. They also make a pre-natal version, and it is found in the grocery store, you don’t need a prescription.

Post # 7
1480 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2018

MrsAKSkier :  that mutation may inhibit you from synthesizing 5-methyltetrahydrofolate but it isn’t going to stop folic acid from becoming folate in the body, which is what the pp was saying.

Post # 13
476 posts
Helper bee

gr8tful4friendships :  Thank you! It’s so hard to get excited after my losses but I’m getting there gradually! Yes I was on baby aspirin and progesterone, as well as steroids so it’s difficult to know if one or all of those helped. My doctor recommends baby aspirin to all of his patients regardless of test results so it can’t hurt. 

Im in the UK so think our vitamin brands will be different, but from what I’ve seen on here there’s a lot of different ones you can get in the US that contain all natural ingredients x

Post # 15
641 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

I’m so sorry for your loss. 🙁

I have one copy of MTHFR and I was so nervous when I found out… but my RE said it’s really common and not a concern unless I had both copies. I didn’t have to take anything special and got pregnant with a healthy baby just a few months later (through IUI but needing that was unrelated to MTHFR). 

Good luck, bee!

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors