(Closed) Hey, 600 friends, here's where we're registered!

posted 5 years ago in Gifts and Registries
  • poll: A Facebook status with a registry link is ...
    Convenient and not tacky. : (2 votes)
    1 %
    Convenient but tacky. : (21 votes)
    14 %
    Just plain tacky. : (128 votes)
    83 %
    Something about which I have a complicated opinion, which I'll share. : (3 votes)
    2 %
  • Post # 3
    5547 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: December 2011

While I would never do it, if it offends someone they can just not look and not buy anything for them. I don’t see why people get their panties all in a wad about stuff like this. 

Post # 4
    1177 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

To each his own. But… yuck. FB brings out the worst in some people, for sure.

Post # 5
    4771 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

If EVERYTHING she’s doing is on FB then it’s just her doing what she does.  I think posting everything on FB is tacky not just the registry.  I don;t think it’s some sort of gift grab since you said she just post things.  And low and behold you went to look at it.

Post # 6
    776 posts
    Busy bee

@Atalanta:  +1.. I think posting every detail of your wedding (or life) on fb is pretty obnoxious – I can’t think of one person who would care at all about the minute details of my wedding. I know you can just delete people who do that, or remove them from your newsfeed, but with all the ridiculous social politics on that stupid site it can be difficult.

Post # 7
    8472 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2012

I despise “Fakebook.”

Post # 8
    2965 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

@sanjessica:  +1. While updating my registry, I saw the button to click to share with facebook. I was like, who would want to do this? I haven’t had many people ask where I was registered PLUS at the time it was less than 20 days from the wedding so I was starting to wonder, but then I thought if they wanted to know, they would ask. Hopefully this means gift cards and money and not any gifts.

Post # 10
    5883 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2010

Just think, not only will you get to hear all the details of the wedding and honeymoon…you get the bonus of hearing about the divorce…

Post # 11
    776 posts
    Busy bee

@jmarvellous:  lol I don’t blame you – I removed someone from my newsfeed when it went into her kids’ bowel movements – that’s like driving a truck into my etiquette funny bone if you ask me. But for a variety of reasons I can’t delete her.. bummer (pun intended)

@lindseyl06:  yeah personally I’d rather get a crappy gift than blast my registry on facebook – but to each their own I guess. I just need to find ways to calm my rage when someone does something silly like that – I try to tell myself not to be so judgmental but sometimes it’s a like a reflex!

Post # 12
    11234 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013

Convenient, if you’re invited to the wedding, I guess? Otherwise…looks gift grabby. 

I try to keep my wedding posting to a minimum on Facebook, since a LOT of people on my friendslist aren’t invited. I do have an engaged friend who basically only ever posts about wedding stuff, though. :

Post # 14
    2058 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

If she was posting everything about her wedding on FB, then I guess its fine. Not something I would do though. I’m not inviting everyone on FB to my wedding so I try to keep the wedding posts to a minimum.

ETA: Although I love to stalk other engaged couple’s registries, even if I’m not invited to their wedding, so I wouldn’t mind someone posting theirs to FB!

Post # 15
    11356 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: May 2009

If she had put in her status something about what fun activity she was engaged in at the time such as, “At Macy’s with Fiance to choose our china pattern and linens!” instead of providing a generic link to all of her fb friends that, to many will scream, “Hey, if you want to buy us a wedding gift, just click here!” I wouldn’t find it to be bothersome.  However, a link on a generic FB page (vs. a couple’s wedding website, where I think it’s perfectly fine) likely will come across to many people as being a bit pushy.

Post # 16
    1071 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

If everyone she is facebook friends with is invited then I don’t really think its tacky

The topic ‘Hey, 600 friends, here's where we're registered!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors