(Closed) His family or yours for the holidays..

posted 10 years ago in Married Life
  • poll: Whos family for which holidays..
    Wifes family for Thanksgiving his for Christmas or vice versa : (28 votes)
    27 %
    Both with Wifes family or vices versa : (12 votes)
    11 %
    Both on all holidays.... : (65 votes)
    62 %
  • Post # 17
    251 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2011

His parents are an hour and a half drive away while my parents are a 4 hour super expensive flight away.  It is looking like holidays might be spent with his family.  It is too expensive to travel to my home for the holidays.  I have flown home every year since I moved away but it was a lot cheaper because I was flying out of Los Angeles.  Now we are at a smaller airport and have to multiply the costs by two.  It kind of makes me sad because this is the first Christmas I won’t be with my family.  Hopefully down the line this changes.  I would want to do every other year.  Thanksgiving with his, Christmas with mine then swap it the next year.

Post # 19
    80 posts
    Worker bee

Thankfully our families are only 2.5 hours apart, so it is very do-able for us to make both sides!  Thanksgiving I think we will do lunch with his family and then drive down to meet up with my family.  

His Dad is a pastor, so he is busy working on Christmas Eve and Christmas day, so last year we spent that time with my family and did Christmas with his family the next day.  It worked out really well for us.

Post # 20
    39 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: May 2012 - Monte Verde Inn

Wow this post could not have come at a more perfect time! We all live in the same town so it gets difficult. For a long time we split the day, but that started to be a little too much. So this year we are finally going to start switching off thanksgiving with each family. Seems like the only sane way. But it is SO difficult to do that because we both want to spend time with both our families. It’s a tough one for sure.

Post # 21
    2051 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 2006

T-Day with his family, Saturday after with mine. My immediate family Christmas on a non-designated-Christmas day (usually before), Christmas Eve with his family, alternate Christmas Day every other year with his and mine.

Post # 22
    362 posts
    Helper bee

@msdoe:

View original reply
    @Pickles-Bee:  I almost feel like both families being close makes it harder, though, because both families expect you to spend time with them, and it gets really stretched.  I know there’s been hurt feelings (mostly my sister), and I almost wish they lived far away from each other!  Argh

Post # 23
    8291 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2010

On Thanksgiving we are going to my husband’s mom’s house until 4 oclock then heading to my parent’s house until late that night.

Christmas we will spend Christmas eve with my parents then Christmas day with his.

Post # 24
    2734 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: December 2011

Right now we spend Thanksgiving with my family, because they’re within driving distance.  Then, we’ll spend Christmas with his family and celebrate Christmas over New Years with my family.

While I’d love to have both of our families close by, I’m actually really glad we don’t have to try to split the actual holiday between both – it sounds exhausting.

Post # 25
    39 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: May 2012 - Monte Verde Inn

@MCC919: I completely agree. It makes it difficult because you have the ease and availability of seeing everyone, but splitting your day in half doesnt do much justice to each family and it is difficult to do. The best option is switching off every year, but its hard to not see your family. Its a tough thing that we all just have to get use to I guess.

Post # 26
    940 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

Our families are in the same town. We see both of them on holidays. I wish they would come here (we are at the beach!) but no…

Post # 27
    3467 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

@MCC919: Same here. DH’s mom gets upset if we’re even late! Thankfully my mom has always been REALLY flexible and pretty much said if she had to do Thanksgiving BREAKFAST she would. lol

This year with them changing their time I’m stressed again about fitting everything. =/

Post # 28
    6414 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2012

My Fiance and I go to my families for every holiday. His grandmother comes to his moms on the holidays and he is not a fan of his grandmother at all. I however like to go to his moms and his dads on a day near each holiday (after his grandmother is gone) just to see them and hang out. =)

Post # 29
    972 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

Our families are all an hour and half from us, just in different directions, which makes it hard to see everyone. We both have divorced families, so we have around 5 Christmases each year. Every year it gets harder and harder to juggle, but I refuse to not see my family for the holidays.

This year for Thanksgiving we are not leaving our house. My 9 year old and I are planning a big meal to make together (I use to do the turkey for one our big family get together and I love passing down the tradiiton of baking ot her). And whoever wants to come or stop by rom either family is welcome to.

We know 3 of our 5 dates already and thankfuly only one of them is one Christmas weekend so far. DH mom just picks a date and time (which is rediculous in its self. She has 2 kids and doesn’t even talk to DH about what our plans are. She usually picks the day of or eve and plants her meal in the middle of the day so we have no option of seeing anybody else)  and we have decided that if she continues to do this and we have other things going on that day we won’t go.

Post # 30
    152 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

For the past couple years we go to his families for thanksgiving, his grandma, aunts, uncles and cousins, they live 6 hrs away, but we always do an early thanksgiving dinner before we leave, here with my family. Then Christmas is with both immediate families that live close, his parents and mine. Usually Christmas eve at my moms, Christmas morning at his moms then whoever is doing the dinner that year.

Post # 31
    138 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

I’ve been bouncing around since i was 9. we just go one place for a couple hours then the other. easy peasy

The topic ‘His family or yours for the holidays..’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors