(Closed) Holding my stuff hostage…

posted 8 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
1638 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

WOW. I am not a lawyer so I don’t know about a restraining order or anything but I know that if she gives you something as a gift she shouldn’t ask for it back. Also she has stuff of yours that she won’t give back? RIDICULOUS! What do your parents/grandparents think of the situation? Can they tell her to keep away and stop contacting them? If they ask and she doesn’t stay away they can get restraining orders. You can probably get one too if you have a valid reason, which from her psychoness, showing up at your parents, threatening you and violent past. Keep us updated, lets hope she just goes away!

Post # 4
8353 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2011

I am not in the legal field either, but I would suggest contacting your local police and ask them what you can do. I also suggest keeping a diary and pictures of when she tries to contact you. Write everything down and keep an eye on your parents and grandparents. If they feel they are in jeopardy, they could also see about getting a restraining order.

Post # 5
1638 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I’m with @Noritake on documenting EVERYTHING. Even if it’s something really small that you think is irrelevant….document it. Also keep ALL voicemails from her. I would contact your local cops and see what your options are. Has she been violent to you in the past or threatened violence?

Post # 7
11325 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

1) Document everything

2) Get a Temporary Restraining Order against her. 

I don’t do domestic or criminal law so I’m not 100% on how you do that… but I bet a little googling will help you out. If you have a TRO and she violates it by calling or coming to yours or your family’s houses again, she can be arrested. 

Post # 8
3252 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

RESTRAINING ORDER!!! and quickly.

Post # 9
5823 posts
Bee Keeper

You can’t just get a restraining order because someone is annoying you.  She legally has to threaten your person.

I think that your grandfather has the idea with not giving her stuff back unless she gives you your stuff, but does he even know what all she owes you?  Make a list so that he can check everything off if you aren’t there.

Also, it doesn’t matter that she’s mental, you should take every action against her as if she wasn’t.  The only way that the police know a person is a problem is by receiving reports.  Many mentally unstable individuals end up stabbing someone and the cops never knew the danger until afterwards when everyone who knows them says “Yeah, she was scary and messed up but I never did anything about it.”

If she does threaten to hurt you, your family, or your property, file for a TRO with the police and notify them IMMEDIATELY when she breaks it.  If she doesn’t, simply tell her that if she continues to harass you and your family you will file a police report.  A threat may be enough to get her to either stop or escalate to a threat which you can use to get the TRO.

PS-She has no legal right to request you return a gift.  Don’t give her back the game or PS2.  If she keeps asking, tell her she’s welcome to file for them in small claims court, but she’s never just getting them back from you.  If she does file it will be a waste of her time.

Post # 10
455 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Ohio law has very limited protection orders.  You don’t actually have to be threatened that’s not correct – however, Ohio basically limits their protection orders to domestic cases or if you’re being stalked.  This is all civil though. 

If you chose to file cirminal charges against her, you could then get an order of protection.  You’d have to file charges (menacing, aggravated trespass, etc) and then you’d probably be eligible even though she isn’t a family member.

Best idea is to go to your local police station present them with the facts of your case and see what they can do for you. 

Unfortunately Ohio doesn’t offer lots of protection for people who aren’t familial/romantic and also don’t want to pursue the criminal route – stupid Ohio.

Post # 12
5823 posts
Bee Keeper

Honestly at this point I would just throw her stuff away.  Why even deal with her?  She’d have to file a police report or claim, and without proof that you have it, she’s pretty much SOL.  Does the stuff of yours that she has really matter that much?  Is it worth forgetting about that stuff to get her out of your life?  The less you even have to deal with her at this point, the better.  And filing reports from you, your parents, AND your grandparents would definitely help.  Multiple reports on one person will really help your case!

And good job avoiding the FB posting war, that’s definitely a good idea!

The topic ‘Holding my stuff hostage…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors