1. What step are you at in the home buying process? The first house that we made an offer on wasn’t worth what the owner was asking and the owner didn’t want to negotiate. We continued to look and found the home we’re currently in the process of buying. The inspection has been done, the mortgage application submitted, and a close date has been set for June 7.
2. Is this your first home? Yup. We currently live in an apartment that we share.
3. What are type of home are you looking for? How many beds/baths? What are your other requirements or wants?
Wanted: 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, open kitchen and living area, 2 floors, built after 1990, at least 2 car garage, semi-decent school district, 1/2 hr commute downtown at most, preferably finished basement, appliances included, 1st floor laundry, little work needed, a deck would be a nice-to-have, in a township so we don’t have to pay city taxes.
Got: 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2 floors, somewhat open kitchen, separate living and family room areas, built in 1986, 2 car garage, great school district, 1/2 hr commute downtown, 5 minutes away from our current apartment, completely finished basement, all appliances included, 1st floor laundry with washer and dryer, some work needed – including new hvac system, new flooring in the master bath to replace the carpeting, addition of light fixtures in bedrooms, replacement of a couple of shingles on roof, gutter cleaning, and tree trimming – deck and concrete stamped patio, in a city so we have RITA taxes
4. How are you feeling? (Happy, anxious, pissed off… etc): Worried about such financial and time commitments; I think I will feel excited when we get the keys.
5. Any advice for other bees buying a home? Like others said don’t get discouraged during the process. The market is flooded with houses, so you’ll end up finding something you’ll love – just have patience. Also, don’t skip the inspection contingency. Use online MLS information to find new houses – I found ours Wednesday, looked on Friday, second look on Sunday, placed offer on Sunday and offer was accepted 4 hours later. Good luck!