Post # 1
Here is brief history- Got Married 1/1/12 signed and bought house the next day-House is only 11 yrs old and was totally remodeled by investor we bought from…moved into said house on 1/5/12 and 4 mths later our formal living room has a leak from the master shower.
Called Home Owners Insurance- they sent company right away…did leak detection and everything was great….WRONG….they didn’t find the main source of the leak…..
- The company came out did leak inspection
- We hired a plumber to come out and fix the leak, they found a 2nd leak, had to get that one fixed as well, but it required a fiberglass specialist….total repair for these 2 leaks over $400 bucks
- We hired a contractor since the original contractor the insurance company never showed….
- Work was completed last Friday…..then another leak…..OH NO….now insurance company is saying not to pay the contractor, they’re resending the same company that did the initial leak detection (why?? I don’t know, since they got it wrong the first time) and the adjustor for the insurance company now wants to come and inspect it personally….and on top of that if it is a 2nd leak we have to pay 2 separate $1000 deductibles……I JUST WANT TO SCREAM
- This company is a joke!!!!
Sorry ladies just needed to release some stress…..
Has any other fellow bees had any issues with home owners insurance?
Post # 3
@mija22: Sorry, but that is the way all Homeowners policies work. I used to work for a large company, and i have seen claims like that. If they can prove it is 2 separate instances, then yes, they have every right to make them 2 separate claims.
Just a quick story that is similar. We had a guy whose house was broken into, and a lot of things were stolen. 3 days later, same thing, house broken into, more things stolen. Well, since they were separate instances (obviously the same people), he had to pay 2 separate deductibles.
It sucks, but that’s how the policies are written. You won’t find any company that would do it differently. Just be thankful you have insurance, and its something that is actually covered
Post # 4
MrsSl82be Thanks for the insight….my concern is that the original plumbers did not do the leak detection correctly and now we’re going to bear the burden of paying for the 2nd deductible….I totally understand that if it’s a 2nd leak and am for paying for it if it is w/in reason, but the people they sent out the first time did not do a great job to begin with and to re-send the same company is a joke in my opinion, and to add insult to injury we have to pay for a 2nd deductible since they can’t get it right the first time? Not fair. Do I have an recourse in this matter? Any suggestions you could lend me would be very much appreciated. Thanks again for responding to my rant.