This stresses me out, because I also live in Alberta and it’s not cheap to go that Naturopath/Holistic route which is what I did in the fall. I had a skin rash that was repeatedly misdiagnosed as eczema, and frustrated, I sought out natural help.
I spent a lot of time and money with a Naturopath and my symptoms got worse fast, and she kept saying ‘it’s a food allergy, if you’re patient we’ll get through this together”. I saw her weekly for Acupuncture and I eliminated everything from my diet. The rash ended up spreading from two small spots on my arms and neck to my entire front torso, both of my arms and my face. I went to the ER because I hadn’t slept in two weeks and I honestly thought I was dying I was in so much pain. He gave me prednisone, which i told my naturopath and she insisted on charging me a large amount of money for a food allergy test… do not get blood work done on prednisone, it masks or skews the results. She did not tell me this, and continued to insist it was a food allergy and that i had a tendency of being ‘too emotional’. (of course I’m emotional, I’m in god awful pain, and I’m getting 20-30 minutes of sleep on a good night…!)
My skin kept getting worse and worse, and clear liquid would seep from it.
I gave in and went back to see a medical doctor who gave me a round of antibiotics for a strep/staph skin infection, and bam 10 days later most of my skin cleared up. After two rounds of anbti biotics, I’m sitting here with clear skin, 3 weeks after my antibiotics are done. I was told if I had waited much longer, there was an extremely high risk of the infection getting into my blood (it was deep in my skin layers hence the long antibiotics) and affecting my organ function, if not killing me. How much that ‘much longer is’ who knows…
Even after informing her that it was a bacterial infection, she is STILL is hung up on the food allergy thing! She also charged me to get a blood test done, and hasn’t gotten back to me about the results, although I had it done at the same time I had bloodwork done for my family doctor, and I got those results WEEKS ago. The difference is I have to pay 140.00 to see her to discuss my results, so I’d like for her to let me know they are in, so that I can only waste money one last time to see her.
Either way. I still believe there is a place to homeopathy/natural medicine, but I think that people need to be open to both. There’s going to be something Natural Medicine can’t do, and my naturopath couldn’t make a diagnosis. I saw 6 medical doctors 4 said ezcema and one said allergic reaction, before the last gave me anti-biotics, so Western Medicine doesn’t always hit it out of the park on the first try either. Err with caution people, its your health and what learned is that no one cares as much as you do.