(Closed) Honest Opinions of Wedding Photos?

posted 8 years ago in Recaps
  • poll: What do you think of my wedding photos? (See link.)
    I think they are fantastic, and you'll probably come around. : (31 votes)
    38 %
    They're not the best, nor the worst. : (33 votes)
    40 %
    Yeah... I see what you mean. A few good ones, but mostly so-so. : (15 votes)
    18 %
    Dislike. : (3 votes)
    4 %
  • Post # 17
    5540 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: December 2011

I think the thing is there are SO many pictures that not all of them are are going to be wonderful. I think there are some great ones and you are just going to have to sort through and find the ones you really like. You aren’t going to like all several 100 of them! 

Post # 18
    552 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

There are some excellent pictures in the few that I looked at. I think you just need more time to go through them. Also remember that these are proofs.

Post # 19
    721 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

Just wait until you get your edited photos back!  Even still there will prob be some that you don’t care for, but I’ve said this in a few other posts, not even celebs look A-mazing in every single shot they take.  However that blog post was beautiful, I’m sure you will have tons you love! 😉

Post # 21
    1257 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

View original reply
    @BetterSherm:  I agree with the first portion of this PP.

I just dont understand why so many photos are taken SO FAR AWAY and some are out of  focus. I think they are beautiful but if you didnt tell me that it was a professional, I may have questioned it.

Post # 22
    5669 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2010

I think they look beautiful! It looks like your photographer was more into candids so that may be why you are a little disappointed. Did you know their style before choosing them? You looked gorgeous and for your album, most of the time they are only an average of 20 pages and as long as you find one you love of you and DH that is all you really need for display.

Post # 23
    543 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

Seemed like the room that the guys were getting ready in had some tricky lighting which they should have addressed better.  I don’t know if it was so much that the photographer was unskilled at taking pictures so much as they had trouble directing people and telling them what they should do.  They clearly wanted a more candid approach but a little direction and vision would have been nice.  Some of them are real winners though.

I got married on the 23rd of June and I found out 2 days before my wedding that our photographer wasn’t actually trained or had taken any photography classes even.  She had her own business and had been taking photos for some time but there is no law that says you have to be a professional photographer to start a photography business.  Hubby and I said oh well, at least there will be pictures at all and rolled with it.  I have yet to see the pics but I am excited.  It was the least of my worries that day.  

Post # 24
    198 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: August 2008

I think you have a lot of really great pictures, but there are SO MANY of them and, of course, there are plenty that are not great since you hundreds to look through. It is overwhelming but I think once you have slected the 100 best photos (or however many) you will end up with an amazing album.

Post # 25
    1810 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

I have to echo previous posters, there are a lot of pictures and I think you just have to weed out the so-so photos from the great pictures. Honestly overall I think the photos are pretty, but as stated previously, some of the angles are weird and a little troubling that there aren’t a whole lot of close ups! Now granted I didn’t look through all of them like you have, but honestly, overall I think the photos look pretty! Just give it time!

Post # 26
    389 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2010

I am a very critical person and I would actually be really happy with those! I agree with the PPs that the photog put too many proofs available for you to see. Mine definitely pared them down a bit more (i.e. there were no shots where someone wasn’t looking or something like that). Realistically you can only put so many photos in an album.

Some of the shots I love: holding hands at after your first look, the shot with flare after your first look (140), a bunch of the ceremony shots (303, 315, 330, 333), all the shots by the barn, and the trolly shots. I can totally see a couple really good candidates to be blown up and hung on the wall, and the potential for a really awesome album!

Post # 27
    6995 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: February 2011

I think they are beautiful! There are always going to be a few here and there where someone has closed eye or a funny face but you really do have some pretty pictures to choose from!

Post # 28
    521 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2012 - Salvage One, Chicago

Well, first off you are beautiful, it was your wedding day, and you have LOTS of photos, so those are all amazingly positive.  However, as a PP said, I wouldn’t have guessed they were professional shots had they not been up on your photogs site.  It’s hard to describe, but they do look causal, in composition, how or if they tried to frame things, etc.  

Post # 29
    581 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2012

I agree with some pp.  It seems like your photog sent you EVERY single photo without editing.  I think you’re just overwhelmed.  while none of them jump out as super creative, I don’t really see any horrible ones (I only looked at 30 or 40).

My photog told me he would go through and lightly edit, taking out the photos with people blinking/ bad shots, and so on before sending them to me.  it seems like your photog didn’t do that.  No biggy.  Take the time to look at them and choose ones you like;  you’ll likely end up with more than enough.  They’ll only get better with editing!

And do keep in mind that you asked us to be critical, so some bees are going to be really looking at your photos (not a bad thing at all, just something to keep in mind) while most people that see your photos are looking at you and the details- not the quality of the shots.

And congrats! 🙂

Post # 31
    4943 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

I think there are some really great shots! Then there are some that just look like anyone could have taken them. But honestly, I’ve always heard that (even professional) photographers will take a 100 photos to get 5-10 perfect ones, you know? So chose your favorites for the album, there are quite a few really nice ones of you and your dh outside before the ceremony that capture your love!

The topic ‘Honest Opinions of Wedding Photos?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors