Post # 16
HAHA, I’m pretty sure that agent was just full of shit and trying to shame you into spending more or something. I don’t believe it for a second. Our most expensive vacation was 12k and was a full month long. Even 3 weeks in Greece “only” cost 6k I think, far less than her stated average. But our honeymoon was “only” 2500 in St John for 10 days, not all inclusive.
Post # 17
Uh, yeah, no. I’m lookint at spending under $1500 and doing Universal Studios from the 16th – 20th. That includes flight, hotel and entry to the park every day.
Post # 18
- Wedding: October 2016 - Harn Homestead
MrsSapphire: NO WAY! Mine is $3300 for Fiance and I to do a week all inclusive at the Excellence in Punta Cana. Now we know we need to bring money for tips and excursions, but we are thinking an extra $1000 for that for the week will be fine. We arent huge on shopping for random things while on vacation so we know we wont spend much there and we only want to do a couple days out of the resort so we have plenty us time.
Post # 19
MrsSapphire: and thats why I won’t go through a travel agent!!!! i dont feel that you get the best price, as they do have to make a living, not sure if they work off commission but I always found that booking my vacatins through expedia or some other travel site was best
1. Approximate cost/budget: we spent $6200. $4K for airfare and hotels, and the rest was spent on food, shopping, souvenirs, etc
2. Is it all inclusive? No – since we were going to Europe and not a beachy resort, we would be eating out at various restaurants which is what we wanted to do if we going to Paris and Barcelona where the food is amazing!
3. How many days is your trip? 2 weeks
4. Where are you going? Paris and Barcelona
Post # 20
We splurged on the honeymoon at $7000 but have had great vacations for much less, like $4000 or even $2000.
Post # 21
- Wedding: August 2016 - Galleria Marchetti
I think it pays to shop around a little! We are booking our hotels/tours through an agent, but doing the flights ourselves. They were super great nad worked within our budget
1. Approximate cost/budget: we’re spending about $5k on the trip not including airfare which is about $1600 (we found a great deal on the flight)
2. Is it all inclusive? No, but we are paying a travel agency to book our hotels, flights within the country and tours. It worked out to be about the same cost (extra $200 for the travel agent), and after planning the whole wedding I did not want to have to plan a trip to a foriegn country on top of that!
3. How many days is your trip? 14 days
4. Where are you going? Thailand- Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Koh Pha Ngan
Post # 22
MrsSapphire: No way! I couldn’t spend that much either haha. We didn’t have a honeymoon, but we are going on a trip to Disney with my parents later this year and are treating that as our “honeymoon”. I can see some places in Europe being that much though. I wanted to go so bad but it’s just way too much for plane tickets over there.
1. Approximate cost/budget – Probably around $3,000 (we are not staying in a Disney owned hotel because there are too many events we are going to, we wouldn’t be able to enjoy it anyway, and they are expensive haha. We are also driving, not flying so that also saves money).
2. Is it all inclusive? No
3. How many days is your trip? 6 (8 if you count driving days)
4. Where are you going? Disney and Universal!
Where are you planning on going? My husband was telling me he went on a Bahamas cruise a few years back, for 5 nights for under $300 because food was included in the ticket! He lived near a port so he didn’t really have to drive. The only thing that wasn’t really included was alcohol. So that may be something to look into as well if you are on a budget or just want to plan a cheap vacation sometime after the honeymoon 🙂 We would have done that, but our base has a deal going on for really cheap Disney tickets and we couldn’t pass it up haha.
Post # 23
I think it all depends on where you are going and when. We made sure to plan ours when there was no major holiday or celebrations going on so flights and hotels would be on the less expensive side. We did try and book at least our flights through a travel agency but the lady there was very rude and she basically told us we would be better off doing it ourselves unless we wanted to do an all inclusive package through her.
1. Approximate cost/budget $7,500 ($3,000 for flights and travel insurance)
2. Is it all inclusive? Nope
3. How many days is your trip? 2 weeks
4. Where are you going? Japan, traveling from USA
We have found some great deals on groupon for Japan for about half our budget, but everything is already planned and we kinda just wanted to do our own thing.
Post # 24
- Wedding: May 2016 - San Clemente Church, Italy
I think the travel agent tried to dupe you and I will never believe 15k is “average”. Travel costs, like everything else, is variable. You can do a Europe trip for 3,500 or $20k+ , depending on flight class, hotel/Suite choices and which restaurants, activities, tours and souvenirs you buy.
I would guess the median is closer to 5k, meaning half pay more than that and half spend less. Studies at Conde Nast and Bankrate put the average cost at $4k-$5k.
We’re spending 10 days in Venice at a 5 star hotel and chose to fly there in comfort, it’s pricey at 16k, but that’s how we like to travel and this is our honeymoon. I’ve also had beautiful Europe trips for 3k. So shop around, do research and don’t be afraid to negotiate!
Post # 25
- Wedding: June 2016 - Sassafraz in Toronto, Ontario
1. Approximate cost/budget: We didn’t have a budget in the sense that we didn’t think we could afford to go anywhere. Ended up finding a trip for about $1400 CND (total, for the two of us) and found ways to make it work.
2. Is it all inclusive? Yes, with optional excusions. I imagine we will spend close to $200 USD on those.
3. How many days is your trip? 5 nights. The first day we get there around noon, and the last day we leave around 7 am. So like, 4.5 days.
4. Where are you going? Cuba. Even if you spend a few hundred more you can get a nice all inclusive in another caribbean country. I think flying out of the states is cheaper, anyhow.
Don’t worry, you can certainly find something for youe $5k budget!
Post # 26
I don’t think ours is over $10k. Fiancé is paying for it, he told me not to worry about it. We’re going to an all-inclusive resort for 7 nights in a fantastically secluded suite.
We’re pretty close to the island so airfare isn’t as much as, say, Europe. But $15k for the TYPICAL honeymoon…?
I can’t imagine the average cost for an engagement ring, something you wear FOREVER, is around $4000 and something that lasts a week is almost four times that. Bizarre. But then I’d always rather spend money on jewelry, so… 😉
I’d stay away from that travel agent. Ms. Greedy Guts seems to want a big commission.
Post # 27
We haven’t booked yet but we would really like to go to Denver for our honeymoon. Flights from here cost anywhere between $200 and $450 per person per round trip, the hotel will be under $200 per night. It’s a city so food can range from very cheap to very expensive. Activities like museums and theater tickets are from $20 to $75. So at the most expensive we could possibly go we won’t even hit $3k. But that doesn’t seem to be the typical sort of honeymoon that I see around wedding bee so I guess it really depends what you have in mind.
Edited to add, we’re thinking a week in Denver then a couple of days in the mountains, visiting and staying with family.
Post # 28
15k would be nice but is also kinda insane! our engagement trip including everything souviners etc came to maybe 5k CAD and i expect our honeymoon to cost about the same from the early pricing iv done so far. We are doing Disneyland and various cali tourist stuff
Post # 29
That is pretty pricey, but I guess it depends where people are usually honeymooning. My husband and I have definitely spent around the $10K range on traveling through Europe, but for our honeymoon we wanted to something more relaxing so we went to Bali. The airfare was way less than going to Europe and once you’re there, everything is extremely affordable. I think ours was under $6K, that was 8 days at a nice resort on the beach with a suite, airfare, several spa days, a couple extravagent meals, and a tour guide for 4 days. I think it all depends on where you’re going and how far your money goes there. We definitely want to travel around Southeast Asia more since once you get there, it is pretty affordable to live luxuriously.
Post # 30
MrsSapphire: We spent about 11K, and I feel like we went “all out.”
We spent 15 days in Italy – it was not all-inclusive, as we traveled around quite a bit. We did not limit ourselves in terms of restaurants, shopping, activities, etc. We stayed in nice hotels (obviously, not the most expensive, but still very nice).
At the same time, we could have easily spent a few thousand more – but we definitely didn’t need to. I don’t feel like we missed out on anything!
I don’t feel like most people spend as much as we did on our honeymoon, so I realllllllly doubt that’s the average cost. I think that time makes a big difference in terms of cost – we really wanted to go somewhere for 2 weeks, but our costs (obviously) would have been signficiantly lower if we had limited ourselves to a week instead.