Post # 1
So the Future Father-In-Law purchase the honeymoon for us. Which is very excited.
However, he decided not to purchase the flight. Well the flight turns out to be roughtly $1200 which neither I nor the fiance can afford right now.
We aren’t looking to fly until April 2009, but we want to lock in our tickets now.
What should we do?
Post # 3
Costs aren’t going to go down, I imagine.
Check out other sources (travelocity, orbitz, bookit, kayak) to see if you can find the flights for a better price.
Post # 4
Another great site is http://www.farecast.com which will tell you which way the flight costs are trending and whether you should book now or wait. It also compares all travel sites for you. Great tool!
Post # 5
Actually, a flight price right now (6 months out) is simply a forecast based on recent and yearly trends. It has nothing to do with what the flight actually might cost, and is not at all accurate. My dad is a commercial pilot and he always says wait until 2-3 months out to really get accurate flight costs. We are going through the same thing- flight is way too expensive! But with the economy like it is, no one really knows (especially the airlines) what things are going to cost in over 6 months.
Given what gas and the economy has done in the past two weeks, that fact is only magnified. Travel (especially leisure) is going to be severely affected, and at some point prices are going to have to come down.
I would wait, track the flights on sidestep.com, and wait and see. Also- pay for the flight with a credit card!!!! A lot of airlines are going bankrupt right now, and you’ll be fully protected that way if the worst should happen.
Post # 6
Can you pay for your tickets with miles? If you each open an airline affiliated credit card, that alone should get you around 20,000 miles each as a bonus for opening it. Then if you charge every single wedding expense on that account, it could really start to add up. You could even ask your friends and family to help, by allowing you to charge their big purchases on your card and have them pay you back in cash. Just remember that airline fees are not covered by miles, so you’ll still be responsible for those. For an international flight you can expect to pay about $300 each person in fees.
Post # 7
I had to pay a yearly fee, but I got 30K free miles from United’s Chase card! So, I only needed an extra 5K miles for a trip to Hawaii (NWR), and you get a point for every dollar plus other promos are available…We ended up waiting a bit & got awesome flights!
Post # 8
I think the credit card idea is great even if you are not doing most of the purchases, like snmcdowell said have your friends and family help you!! I also agree if you don’t want to go that route wait a few months and check Orbitz, Travelocity and the other websites that are like that.
Post # 9
Depending on where you are flying, you can possibly wait 2 – 3 months. We are going to Aspen for our honeymoon, and had to get the tickets last month – because there are a limited number of flights on small planes, and they book up. As of last week, there are no seats left – we are going in February 09! If your destination is a bigger market, you might have more time.
I would suggest joining Expedia and Travelocity, and setting your destination as part of your profile for preferred travel. Both sites will send you an email every time the price of a ticket changes, for select destinations. That way you can see when the price drops, and jump right on it. Also (and depending on your destination) you can look into flying into a different city nearby, and taking a shuttle or renting a car. Frequent Flyer miles are sometimes a good option, although for some destinations and airlines there are so many restrictions on their use that they might not work for you. I have friends who often get great prices on Orbitz and Priceline, although you should know that if your flights end up cancelled or delayed you will be at the absolute bottom of the priority list for rebooking, since the airline does not feel responsible for tickets purchased through off-price sites like that.
Is it possible that your parents might want to help out? If nothing else, maybe your parents jointly could help with at least part of the tickets as a Christmas present to the two of you.
If you honestly can’t afford the tickets, and don’t see that you will be able to, I think you’ve got to have a talk with Future Father-In-Law. After all, past some date he won’t be able to get his money back for the rest of the trip even if you don’t go. If that looks like a real possibility, he deserves to know.