(Closed) Honeymoon Options: Thailand & Bali; Turkey & Croatia or

posted 9 years ago in Honeymoons
  • poll: Where would you go if you had the choice?
    Thailand & Bali : (43 votes)
    50 %
    Turkey & Croatia : (24 votes)
    28 %
    Spain and surrounding areas.. : (15 votes)
    17 %
    Other : (4 votes)
    5 %
  • Post # 33
    606 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

View original reply
    @ReyDar64: Ah, I see.  I wasn’t taking into consideration the dates. Croatia and Turkey would be amazing regardless, but if you want a full on beach honeymoon then I think Thailand/Bali is the way to go.  So much fun!

Post # 35
    59 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: January 2011

@SpecialSundae: Jeez that sounds amazing!!! Take me with you!!!! 

Post # 36
    76 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

I’ve been to Bali once in late October, Fiance twice.  We loved it there so much that we’re having our wedding there!  Been to Bangkok only for 3 days on a stopover/layover from Bali.  Both were really exotic and awesome to me.  Yes, you’re going to run into hawkers, but they aren’t as aggressive as I’ve seen elsewhere (like in Jamaica, for instance).  I would recommend NOT staying in the tourist area (Kuta–think college Spring Break!) and try to get off the beaten path.  It will be at the end of the dry season very beginning of rainny season.  We were in Bali for a week and it rained on us a couple of times, but luckily at night, or when we were in the pool!  It was heavy rain, but like a lot of tropical locations, it passes through pretty quickly.  You’ll still be able to enjoy the sun and log in some beach time.

Can’t speak for Croatia or Turkey, but I’ve heard they are beautiful as well.

I recently came back from Spain (been to Madrid, Barcelona, and around Andalucia).  If you’re trying to go for a great trip before you have kids, I would recommend NOT doing Spain.  Don’t get me wrong, I LOVED it there and would totally go back (loved the food there)!  But I think it’s the most kid-friendly place of your chosen locations so you could totally do Spain/Europe after you have kids.  

Post # 38
    131 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: March 2012

We been to Thailand and Bali many times and we loved it !!

Post # 39
    76 posts
    Worker bee

View original reply
    @ReyDar64: I wish I did!  Unfortunately, FI’s hard drive crashed while on our trip and he was unable to recover most of the photos I had downloaded and had already deleted off my camera. 🙁

What kinds of things would you want to do there?  And what kind of accommodations are you looking for?  

Kuta is “important” if you wanna do nightlife and shopping as it’s really the main area.  We moved around for the week.  The road from Kuta blends into and becomes Legian, which then turns into Seminyak and then it turns into Canggu.  I doubt by now there is much separation between the villages.  The further north you go away from Kuta along that road, the quieter, more upscale it gets.  We stayed in Legian a night, but our stay in Seminyak was really nice.  We were also in Nusa Dua/Benoa but I wouldn’t go back because it’s just not my thing–a lot of high-end resorts lined up right next to each other, not much to do/see outside of the hotels.  Can’t really walk around.  But, the bay down there is popular for water and jet skis. 

We also traveled down to Uluwatu temple on the west side of the Bukit peninsula which was really nice, but also full of beautifully landscaped beach front huge hotels which outside of, there’s not much else to do (except hang out on the beach I guess).  

Ubud is the cultural center of the island.  Lots of arts and crafts there, dance performances, jungle, etc.  I believe it’s where Eat, Pray, Love was filmed.  Different atmosphere than along the coast.  We only drove through there, but it seemed nice.

Haven’t been on the north side of the lsland yet. More inland you could go hiking, visit the volcano, white water rafting. You could also take a ferry to one of the smaller islands.  FI went to Nusa Lebongan to surf once and said it was super quiet and really peaceful.  A friend took a boat ride to snorkel and dive somewhere. Lombok is also pretty quiet, too and I heard relatively untouched compared to Bali (probaby what Bali was 10 years ago), but I haven’t been there yet.

One thing to note is that there is a lot of Indonesian food served there.  I guess they just assume people would prefer it.  I’m not a big fan of Indonesian food to be honest (Nasi Goreng or Mie Goreng), but Balinesian food is different–a little more South East Asian/Indian influence with lots of different spices.  So I recommend to look out for that.  

What really got me was the exoticness of the Hindu society.  There are offerings everywhere!  Flower petals scattered along the roads, the burning smell of incense everywhere, temple tops peaking above everyone’s fences.  Oh, and there are spas everywhere.  An hour long massage in your room for about $12.00.  You should do that in Thailand, too (although, if you’ve never had a Thai massage, you should be prepared for a workout!). 

Hope I’m not hyping it up too much. 🙂

Post # 41
    1412 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

Fiance and I went to Croatia last year, and it was absolutely gorgeous. The sea is so blue, it doesn’t even look real. And Turkey is supposed to be really fun, with a lot of history and culture. 

Post # 42
    1493 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2009

I’ve been to Thailand and Laos. When my husband and I were considering our honeymoon, foreign countries came up, but we decided on a more island experience. I’ve heard awesome things about Spain. I really, really want to visit there!

Post # 43
    76 posts
    Worker bee

View original reply
    @ReyDar64: Not sure how long the boat ride is to Lombok (there are ferries that depart from the east coast of Bali), but it’s a 25 minute flight from Bali. Note, that it’s different culture as they celebrate a different religion so you may not get the flower petals everywhere ; )

When we were looking for hotels online, we set the search parameters for about $50-$60 a night.  For sure you could find cheaper hotels and no doubt lots that are way more expensive.  I recommend surfing agoda.com which so far has given us a lot of luck.  In researching places for our guests, we found some cool places on airbnb.com.  With airbnb, you may not get the hotel staff/experience, but there are some really beautiful places you can have all to yourself.  

Not sure really how to split your time because I’ve not realy travelled through Thailand, but I think a week is a good idea (at the shortest). There isn’t a direct flight back to the states, so from Bali, you’ll have to stop over in another country.  That could give you a chance to visit another country for a couple of days. Personally, I didn’t care much for Singapore, as it’s actually a lot more expensive than other southeast asian countries (prices almost the same if not a little more than in the states) and there’s not much to do besides shopping. But, other places include Hong Kong, Taiwan, Kuala Lampur, Seoul, Tokyo, Beijing, etc.  So maybe you might wanna consider that in your trip planning, too.

Good luck!

Post # 44
    Bee
    2360 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2010 - New York Botanical Garden

We went to Croatia for our honeymoon and it was the BEST! Absolutely gorgeous, interesting history, amazing cities – I wrote 3 blog posts about it if you feel like checking my archives – I wish we could go back!!

The topic ‘Honeymoon Options: Thailand & Bali; Turkey & Croatia or’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors