- 7 years ago
- Wedding: January 2012
Fiance and I thought at first that we weren’t going to be able to afford a honeymoon. However, a couple months ago, my parents told us they were going to pay for our honeymoon as their wedding gift to us. That was awesome and spectacular and made us really happy. There was only one catch: we had to use the travel agent my parents recommended.
Fiance and I wanted to go on a real adventure, somewhere exotic and with plenty to do. We wanted to avoid Caribbean/Mexican/Central American beach vacations. Well, I contacted the travel agent, and I found out that she specializes in Caribbean/Mexican/Central American beach vacations. I mentioned it to my parents, but they said again we had to use her.
I described what we were looking for, and she sent me a few options. She had one trip to London/Paris, one to Peru, and several to a few Central American countries (though they spent more time in the interior, not the beach). We got really excited about the prospect of going to Peru. The itinerary looked fantastic, and Fiance has always dreamed of going to Machu Picchu. We asked her to book it.
Then we started doing our own research. The travel agent neglected to tell us that January is the peak of the rainy season in Peru, and there’s a good chance that we wouldn’t be able to do half the stuff in our itinerary because of all the flooding and landslides that happen around that time. I emailed her and asked, and she said it was true. So there went that idea.
So we picked Costa Rica, which was our second choice (and not even close to being as exciting for me as Peru was). She told me she would check with the tour company and get back to me within 48 hours, or last Friday.
So I waited. And waited. And waited. On Tuesday, she emailed me to say she didn’t know why they weren’t getting back to her, but they weren’t. I realize that this isn’t her fault, but it still stressed me out. Yesterday morning, I started looking for Plan C, since Plan A hadn’t worked, and Plan B apparently wasn’t going to, either. They must have gotten back to her, though, because she emailed me yesterday afternoon before I could decide on a Plan C. The good news was that she had the plans for our trip. The bad news was that by then, the flight prices had gone up.
We decided to just eat the cost of the tickets. I started looking at reviews online of the hotels they wanted to put us in. The first two looked great (more on that in a second), but the third one had some pretty horrific reviews on TripAdvisor.com. I emailed her to ask if we could change to a different hotel.
Also in the email, I asked if it would be possible to upgrade our room at one of the nice hotels to a junior suite. I was looking at the website online, and I discovered that the junior suites all have jacuzzis in them. Fiance has a thing for jacuzzis, if you know what I mean, so I thought we had to do it.
Anyway, she emailed me back this morning. She said our options in the one city with the awful hotel were that one or one other. I looked at the reviews for the new hotel, though, and they were about ten times worse.
I was so sick of dealing with this crap that I told her to just book the stupid thing at the original bad hotel, and said I would wait to hear back about upgrading the room at the other one to a suite.
Well, I just got her response. Apparently, the contracts with the tour company say that we can’t get anything more than a basic room at any of the hotels. Seriously? We’re willing to pay good money to get the stupid upgrade. It shouldn’t be that difficult.
I’m just so upset now. If we didn’t have to use this stupid travel agent, things would be so much easier. If we used a travel agent at all – and I’m not sure that we would, since I’ve planned several international trips on my own before with no problems – we would have used one that offered a wide variety of trips like what we wanted. As it is, I don’t feel particularly excited about where we’re going, and I’m not even excited about the hotels themselves anymore. I feel like I’m being forced to go on the trip my parents want. Fiance is still pretty excited because he’s never been to Costa Rica before, and it will all be new for him, but he’s still upset about the hotels.
I know that I’ll enjoy myself – after all, I’m going to be on my honeymoon and celebrating with my new husband that we’re finally married, and so even a honeymoon to the crappy motel down the street would be great – but I still feel so upset because it’s not the honeymoon I wanted. It’s not even my second or third choice.
Thank you for letting me rant.