(Closed) Hors d’oeuvres/cake only for a wedding that starts at 5:30, reception at 6?

posted 9 years ago in Food
Post # 3
550 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Personally, if I were invited to that type of wedding at that time, I would probably leave early to get dinner. If the ceremony starts at 5:30, that means I would want to get there about 5:15. That means eating dinner before 5 and just snacking the rest of the evening.

If I were you, I would have something a little more substantial if you expect people to stay 5 hours with no meal at mealtime.

Just my opinion, though :o)

Post # 4
47279 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

My take on it is this: you can offer anything you want in the way of food, but don’t be surprised if your guests leave around 7 or 7:30 to get dinner.

Crackers cheese etc aren’t going to hold most people until 11 pm.

They will also show the effects of alcohol sooner if they don’t have a meal.

Even if you make it clear what you are offering on the invitation, it is  a bit inconsiderate of you to expect folks to give up a meal.

Post # 5
4824 posts
Honey bee

Have you talked to othere non-caterers, but restaurants concerning catering? IE, maybe an italitan restaurant can provide you with food for a buffet? Even adding something like baked ziti with chicken and a veggie pasta, side salad and rolls.

Alternatively you could consider a “picnic” reception. Do your hor deurves as planned and pick up sandwich platters.  Add to that some basic chips and you will have a much heartier meal and you can keep your dinner hour time.

If you wan to keep your hor deurves (and keep it to what you indicated) I would move the ceremony back to 7.

You could do an all hor deurve reception that early, but you would need a lot more food than that. Can you hire someon to bake off premade apps from costco as well? Like min-quiches, taquitos, etc?  If you had a bunch of choices, more than just a few tray of cold apps, I think you could do a cocktail reception fine.

Post # 6
570 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

@Kant: I agree I would leave shortly after cocktail hour as my stomach would begin aching . You might encountered and be sadden if you guest leave early.  Bring sandwiches they can grab and eat.

Post # 7
2104 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I agree with lefeymw: check out local restaurants!  We had considered just doing hors d’oervres and cake/punch, but with as much out-of-state family traveling in for our wedding, we realized we need to serve a full meal.  We’re getting a VERY reasonable rate from a fabulous locally owned Italian restaurant (about $8 a head).  We’re doing a buffet of chicken parmigiana, eggplant parmigiana, spaghetti and meatballs, lasagna, and cannelloni.  They also provide salad with two types of dressing and rolls.

Post # 8
4544 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Honestly, as other Bees have said, I would probably leave early to go get dinner. I know Darling Husband and I did this once. We felt bad, but we were starving!

Post # 9
5092 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

That would mean guests would essentially have to go to dinner at 4 pm, in order to get there by 5:15.  I think that’s just too early.  I would be starving and grumpy, unless the hors d’oeuvres were more substantial, like tapas, and there were a lot of them for everyone.

I’m definitely not trying to take your head off – I understand wanting to save money. But I would try to cut it elsewhere.

Post # 11
4411 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2010 - Savannah, GA

I agree with the others.  I think your guests will be leaving early because they’ll get hungry. And like someone else said, without more food, you’ll be seeing the effects of the alcohol much earlier. 

You could get some deli platters with a variety of sliced breads to bring out sometime around 7:00-8:00. That way those who are hungry would make themselves a sandwich without the expense of a caterer.

I would suggest that you keep looking for a caterer though, because you still have a lot of time to find one.

Our caterer stopped returning our calls in the past week, and our reception is August 6, just over a month away, so here we were without a contract or a menu and responses were starting to come back and no idea if we would have any food.

I started searching Angie’s List, and found a fantastic caterer who doesn’t advertise except by word of mouth, but who had some really great reviews. She was available for our date, and is taking care of things I hadn’t eve thought about for a lower price than other caterers had quoted us. I called her yesterday, and hired her today.  

Post # 13
7681 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

I think you also have an awesome grocery store that you can possibly get food from.  I forget the name, because we don’t have that grocery store.-Oh, I think it is Wegmans.  Maybe you could check out what they have available too.  See if Sam’s or Wegmans have better prices, or do the Italian food idea from your favorite Italian Restaurant.  I bet you can make it happen!  Good Luck!

Post # 14
3521 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

If you have some sort of cocktail sandwich (lots of grocery stores offer platters on the cheap), you’d be able to keep your preferred time AND feed your guests more than finger food. Personally, I’d be totally fine with hors d’oeuvres, even at that hour, but lots of people wouldn’t.

Post # 15
550 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I think the sandwiches are a great idea. My Future Brother-In-Law did that for his rehersal dinner. With the deli plates, rolls, drinks etc he says it came to about $10/per head :/

Post # 16
2104 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

@Kant:  The only reason we were able to afford $8 a head is by slashing our guest list, so I completely understand tight budget.  I think you’re on the right track with hors d’oevevres and sandwiches, though!

The topic ‘Hors d’oeuvres/cake only for a wedding that starts at 5:30, reception at 6?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors