Post # 1
I am looking for a hotel along the beach in Orange County that may allow catering from a Chinese Restaurant. I’ve seen Furiwa’s prices and they are on the high side and seem to be the ONLY restaurant that caters to a hotel along PCH. I was just wondering if there may be any other restaurants that provide the same services so I could compare prices. Any suggestions?
Also, if I opt for a Beach Hotel wedding, would you think that the cost of the American Hotel Food would be comparable to catering Chinese Food? Basically, the Beach Hotel is a must and Food is flexible but Chinese is preferrable.
Post # 3
I wanted the same thing as you: Chinese food at an oceanview locale in O.C. I only had six months to plan the wedding and I think I could have figured it out if I had more time. But due to time constraints and costs, I gave up the idea and went with Furiwa at an Anaheim hotel. Everytime I think of how much money I’m saving (compared to the H.B. Hyatt), I get happy. 🙂
But here are some suggestions that didn’t work for me but might work for you:
1. Check out Grace Catering: http://www.gracecatering.com. After I had booked Furiwa, I read another bee post about them and highly recommended them. She said Andrew was the contact person. They’re cheaper than Furiwa and they might have some PCH hotels they’ve worked with and can recommend.
2. Rent a private residence: http://www.vrbo.com. I’ve seen photography blogs where you’ll see an O.C. wedding on a hill with a view of the Pacific Ocean, and depending on how big your wedding is, this might work.
3. Pacific Edge Villa. I think they allow outside catering. Our guestlist was too big to seriously consider this place, so I can’t say they allow outside caterers for sure but I’m assuming it’s coming to mind because it does (although I know they do have a preferred caterer list).
4. Balboa Pavilion. I also didn’t double-check about outside caterers for this place, but I remember reading from multiple sources that they allow outside caterers.
5. Ocean Institute at Dana Point. Probably my dream place. Not sure if they have a preferred caterer list, but since it’s not a hotel or restaurant, they won’t make you use an in-house kitchen!
I know another L.A./O.C. bee (probably a L.A. one) posted a huge list of venues in SoCal on the message board a while ago but I can’t find it. Maybe someone else has it “faved”?
Post # 4
Thank you so much for your suggestions! I really like the vacation rental idea. I recently moved to Dallas with my Fiance but we are definitely going to have the wedding in OC as all my family still reside there. So when his family flies over, they could actually stay at the rental instead of a hotel and we could still have the wedding there. 2 birds with one stone, possibly =)
I also found a site through VBRO called Fleur de Lis http://www.fdleventsinc.com/. They seem to have a lot of connections for great venues if anyone else is searching for the same thing. Not sure how much they cost but I’ve contacted them for a price quote and will keep everyone posted.
Thanks again, and I will check out the other places you’ve suggested.
Post # 5
Ocean Institute requires someone off their catering list — I just contacted them w the same question
The names don’t look Chinese, but I could be wrong:
Contact: Lynn Likens
24 Carrots Catering.
Contact: Kimberlyn Richardson
Platinum Catering/Country Garden
Contact: Sharon Sajedy
Contact: Suzanne Beuukema
Il Fornaio Catering
Contact: Adrienne Sharar
Post # 6
If you taste Grace catering vs. Furiwa there is no comparison. Furiwa is off the charts better tasting and worth the slight price difference. I am caucasion, fiance Chinese and we are using Furiwa at the Hilton in Costa Mesa. Not on the beach but beautiful fountains and outdoor ceremony site, plus you can bring your own wine and congac, and free parking (and a free room for bride and groom for wedding night). We looked at all beach hotels from Redondo to San Diego and this is half the cost.
HOWEVER, if Beach is a must: Furiwa has contracts with the Crowne Plaza in Redondo Beach, and it is across the street from the ocean. Hope this helps!
Post # 7
Furiwa does contract with these Hotels that are on the beach:
- Hyatt Huntington Beach
- Hilton Waterfront
Other Hotels on the coastline that allow BYO caterers:
- Hotel Maya (Long Beach)
- Doubletree San Pedro (more of a marina)
- Sheraton Delfina (you see the beach and pretty near it @ Santa Monica)
Hyatt HB has a HUGE premium it’s around +$325/table more over the others.. also your guests need to fork over $10 for valet… but supposely very nice :)…
Post # 8
You can try Paracel Seafood Restaurant. The contact person is Tim. We had our wedding last year at his restaurant and the food was fabulous! We looked into Furiwa and did not feel that they were a good fit for us.
He also does outside catering to hotels/venues in the OC/LA areas.
Here’s his facebook website: