Post # 1
I found the perfect hotel, location, design, price all were exactly what we wanted plus they have a popular bar with a DJ on Fri and Sat nights so it was a great built in after party and it has a large patio on the river which would be open weather permitting. I looked at the hotel with my parents, set up a room block and sent the link to some of our Out of Town guests. Everything was done and perfect. Then March brought a lot of rain and the hotel flooded! This NEVER happens. I have since talked to the hotel and first they told me they expected to reopen in July then August and can’t tell me when they will resume accepting reservations but expect to do so in the next month. My wedding is mid September. I have begun to reconsider some other options but none compare to the current hotel. Here’s where I need opinions. Would you keep the curent room block and hope the hotel is renovated and reopens on time (as a plus the restaurant and lobby will be brand new) or pull out and book a second choice hotel that is currently open and taking reservations?
Additional information, the first choice hotel is located halfway between the ceremony and reception which are an hour apart (we are providing a bus either way), in a minor city with a free shuttle. The second choice hotel is in a town very close to the ceremony location – in between two major cities, has an indoor pool and is closer to the airport.
Post # 3
We considered blocking rooms at a hotel that was supposed to open in December of 2009 for our March 2010 wedding. I called even well into late February to see if they were open and it continued to say coming soon. While it did end up opening before our wedding, they were still a few months late. I would say block rooms at the one that you know will be available and then see how things go with the other hotel’s progress. You can always work something out with them closer to the time and it will only give your guests more options.
Post # 4
my thoughts is march to sept is a very long time the hotel will have every thing working by than and you seem to really like the place so i would to the plan or make a back up plan with this plan but i really think it will be out
Post # 5
For right now, I’d stay with the first hotel and see if they genuinely start taking reservations again within the next month. If that doesn’t happen, I’d bail and go with Plan B.
Post # 6
I’d stick with the current hotel for the time being. or if possible, keep the current block, but set aside a back-up block at the other hotel that you can keep if things don’t get renovated in time at the first hotel, or discard/back out of if they do.
Post # 7
@ denverbirdlet we’re getting married on the same day and aparently we think alike because that’s kind of where I am right now. Close to choosing a Plan B and hoping I can have two options for at least a month and move everyone over to option one provided they get their act together and rennovate.
Post # 8
just block out rooms at a back up hotel – most hotels dont require a deposit or anything, and you should prob have a better idea of what is what when you put out invites, so you can better decide then 🙂