Post # 1
When we toured the facility in late January, we were told the rooms were going to be $129 on Saturday and Sunday nights, a discount from $159 and $279, respectively. We have this $129 in an email chain. This room rate was a big factor in our decision to select this venue: it was a really nice hotel, about 65% of our intended guest list is out of state, and we liked the idea of being together in one spot for logistical ease and visiting purposes.
We signed the contract for the wedding itself (ceremony and reception) February 15. We were told that a person would contact us about our room block; I specifically asked about them at the contract signing what the process was for this. The packet we received after signing our contract said to contact them 6+ months out for room blocks. Given that we are still 8 months away, I didn’t think anything of it for the time being, putting it on my list for April.
Today I got a call from a woman who works at the hotel at 5:05 pm. I had not previously spoken with her, but she said that I had not responded to a February 25 email she sent asking me if I wanted to reserve a room block. I never received this email. I’m positive I never received this email because I’m on Gmail all day at work, and have my Android phone with me at all times. She confirmed my email address with me however.
Then she asked if I was still interested in reserving the room blocks, I asked for clarification about their policies, and she quoted me a price of $159! That’s more than a 20% increase. She put me on hold, looked in the folder that they had for our wedding, and found $129 quoted for 20 rooms from the woman I had been working with all along. She then informed me that she would have to get permission to offer us this price, and that any additional rooms beyond the 20 would be at the $159 rate.
We don’t have a contract with the room rate on it, just the email chain. So if they won’t give us the $129 rate, should we take our business elsewhere? Ask to speak to the manager ourselves? What would you do?
Post # 3
@mordantmaxim: Ask her to forward the email she sent. From that you can check the exact time she sent it, as well as searching for an exact phrase. It is possible it got filtered as spam, however.
Anyway, if she hasn’t spoken to the manager yet, no need to panic. Just politely ask her to check with the manager. Hopefully that will resolve it. But if not, contact the manager yourself. I’ve had this before. Invoice from secretary arrives for X dollars. I say, “but we were quoted Y dollars”. Secretary checks, manager confirms we were quoted Y, and it’s all good.
Post # 4
The problem with waiting to book your room blocks is that prices rise, and prices always vary at hotels based on time of year. So you were quoted a price initially, which would have liekly been the price if you set it up then, now their room rates are obviously more and you had nothing contracting the hotel to the inital quote months before. I think you have to suck it up and accept their price or find another hotel.
Post # 5
@drummerbride: We checked room rates through priceline, hotels.com, and the hotel’s own website in January to see how good of a deal they were giving us. Saturday’s rate is still exactly the same, and Sunday’s has increased by $10. Now they want to charge our guests $30 a night more and I’m just not okay with that. If it were the $10 dollar increase, I’d understand, but right now it just feels like they’re gouging us because they can.
I’m a total newb to the wedding planning process and am not sure how this all works, granted. They’re a business and not a charity, I get that. But if they don’t indicate that this quote is only valid for X number of days, or is subject to change, then what is the point of giving a specific price for a block of rooms in January for a November wedding when their business’ own timeline indicates that the couple should wait until May to contact them and they know that it is going to change?
Right now, it feels like they’re out to gouge me, and that they set me up. I can guarantee them $9k of room rental business or they can insist on $11.5, I walk, they risk having those rooms empty (it’s in a corporate area of town, with no conventions, on a slow, holiday weekend), and I indicate this experience in my review of the venue on wedding forums. That sounds like a threat, and I’m not sure they’d even care because they’d get to keep the deposit, but it’s the reality of the situation.
Post # 6
If you feel they are just trying to screw you over, then look up different hotels and shop around, it’s your best bet to get the best deal for your guests.