Post # 1
So last night, I grabbed a pillow that had been on the floor, half in and half out of the closet. When I laid my head down, I smelt something kinda funky. I shove it in Husband’s face with a “Does this smell weird to you?” It did. So we tried to figure it out…after some searching, we find out that the side wall of our closet (which is an outside wall) has mold, lots of it. And it was along the back of the closet, and even a little on the floor! EWWWWW!!!!
Long story short, removed most everything from the closet and find a few things that have to get tossed (1 backpack, 1 comforter, 1 graduation gown leftover from a few years ago, a purse, and a few other small things). The property management place (we rent) came out today and pretty much acted like it was our fault that anything was damaged because we aren’t supposed to put stuff against the side wall. WHAT??? Apparently condensation can build up and cause this damage. It even crept along the baseboad behind our bed a little. Everything the lady said to do (don’t use a space heater, keep the bathroom door closed during showers/laundry, etc), we’ve already been doing, but she made this seem like it was our fault.
And she kept commenting on how much stuff we have! None of her business! We got married 2 months ago, yeah, we have stuff!
They’re sending somebody out to treat the problem and repaint, but still! Sorry, guess this is just a vent.
Bees, any advice on how to deal with this in the future? So frustrated….told husband that this (and a few other things) make me sure that moving when our lease is up will be the best thing for us!
Post # 3
I’m so sorry that happened to you. The only thing I can think of is to try and keep things away from the wall and check it every so often for moisture buildup.
Post # 4
Mold can cause serious health issues. I suggest calling the county health inspector in your area and asking if they can come out to check the severity of the problem. Putting items against a wall shouuld not cause mold, and they should replace your items. I suggest small claims court to get your money back for those items after you get the health inspector’s report.
Post # 5
I’m not sure how things work there, but I know that here you can definitely get out of a lease early because of mold…it’s a health hazard!!!
Also, make sure that they ACTUALLY remove the mold and fix the problem, and don’t just paint over it like most landlords do!
Post # 6
I know here in LA you can get out of the lease early because of health issues (mold being one) and I would definitely call and have someone come out and make sure they’re treating it properly for the type of mold it is (different types need to be treated in different ways). Good Luck!
Post # 7
They mold guy is coming out today to deal with it (at least they all respond quickly!) and I’m going to be standing there, watching! This is such a ridiculous mess and I’m really frustrated by it. The things that we damaged don’t have any sentimental meaning and weren’t even that expensive, so I’m not sure if we’d want to pursue getting any compensation but it’s just frustrating because I’m having to deal with it since Husband is at work and they’re making me feel as though this is something I caused.
Post # 8
I would seriously try to get out of the lease early because of the mold. If, however, it is all cleaned up you should be fine!
Post # 9
It’s NOT your fault…it sounds like the landlord is trying to protect themselves from possible legal action. Everyone freaks out about mold and it sounds like the landlord is too, which is why she took such quick action to get this taken care of. Definitely NOT your fault!!
Post # 10
Not your fault. There is an apartment complex here who had major problems with mold and it even got to the news because the apartment complex was making their residents fix the problem—that is the landlord’s responsibility. I would definitely contact the health department and I would move if you can.
Post # 11
Ew, ew, ew! I don’t think putting things against the wall has anything to do with it – mold problems are usually the result of poor construction.
I’d try to get our of the lease, personally, since it doesn’t seem like the management company will be receptive to the idea that they need to do some major maintenance to really fix the problem. (Sprays and repainting won’t make the mold go away.)
Post # 12
Now if you were in Seattle, I’d say, yeah take all precautions (we run a dehumidifier in the winter)… but in Morgan Hill? No way. Sounds like your apartment complex got more rain than it could handle in this El Niño year! Bet she’s got lots of people with lots of mold this year!
Definitely not your fault.
Post # 13
Totally NOT your fault! If you are INSIDE a house they can’t blame you for putting things wherever you want in your house (ok maybe not flammable things by a stove, but you know what I mean). I would contact the health board, certain types of mold can be very toxic. I’m actually glad your stuff was against the wall because the mold was probably there just not noticed. It may have saved you from future health problems. I’m NOT trying to scare you but I know people who have lived with mold & it caused SERIOUS health issues & they didn’t find out for months down the road. I would call a doctor & see if they recommend you coming in. Ask the inspectors what type of mold they found, cause it may be completely harmless to you. You’ve only lived there for 2 months, so don’t stress out about it. If the doctor suggests you go in, I would make the landlord pay for that & go to the health board. I’d also move out if they didn’t fix the problem completely. I’m extremely tollerant about almost everything, but I would not live anywhere where there’s dangerous mold.
I really hope it all goes over ok!
Post # 14
Not your fault! Putting items against a wall or leaving a door open while showering should NOT be causing mold. I leave my door open when I shower and we don’t have mold! It sounds to me like they have a mold problem and don’t want to properly fix it. I would 100% call the health dept and have them send someone out. If it’s happening in your unit then it’s probably happening in others as well. It can cause serious health issues. If your property managment company doesn’t fix it properly it might be a way for you to get out of your lease and move somewhere mold free.
P.S. SHAME ON HER for commenting on your house. It’s NONE of their business what you have in there as long as it doesn’t break the lease. Your stuff is your stuff and it was SO rude of her to comment on anything. Sounds like a bad company to rent from, I’d move out ASAP.
Post # 15
I’ve lived in our duplex since July of last year, so 9 months, and everything was fine 2 1/2 months ago when Husband moved his stuff in.
The lady was rude and I really don’t see us staying here much longer. This is ridiculous. (I think I’ve said that before, but it’s the only word I can think of).
Post # 16
It’s definitely not your fault. IF the building is built correctly you should not be having mold issues. It’s definitely the landlords responsibility. If it were you’re house & I was you I would call in an inspector because it sounds like there may be a serious issue at hand. Since you’re renting you may want to cinsder moving or making sure they address the problem and that there arent any major cracks in the wall or leaks causing moisture to get in and create mold. Also closing the door in the bathroom while taking a shower (if you dont have an exhaust fan) will CREATE mold so I dont know why she offered that piece of advice.