(Closed) How are we supposed to know how many babies we want until we start having them?

posted 9 years ago in Babies
  • poll: Did you change your mind on the number of kids you wanted after you started having them?
    Yes, I wanted more. : (7 votes)
    17 %
    Yes, I wanted less. : (6 votes)
    15 %
    No, I didn't change my mind. : (8 votes)
    20 %
    I never had a set number. : (16 votes)
    39 %
    Other. : (4 votes)
    10 %
  • Post # 31
    5495 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: September 2010

I am pregnant with our first right now. When I was about 8 weeks along, DH asked me when we were gonna get to work on number 2. I was like, we haven’t even had number one! haha.

I always liked the idea of 2 or 3, and DH just says he will be happy with however many we are blessed with. He is the youngest of 4, so he is def okay with at least one sibling.

Post # 32
    1088 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: January 2013

My Fi and I have agreed on 3… but that is up in the air. We both agreed that we like the number 3 but we are going to keep our minds open to 4 or even just 2. It really depends on how it goes, we will see when we get there!

Post # 33
    7768 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2010

We are pre-kids now, and currently in the 2 kids camp.  I want them to have siblings, but I also understand why some people chose to have 1.  I know we would both love a huge family!  So we shall see.

Post # 34
    5654 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: April 2011

DH & I weren’t super set on a number…. I just made clear that I do NOT want a “clan” lol. I have DS from a previous marriage & am expecting currently. We’ll have 1 to 2 more from here & then that’s it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 35
    3756 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

I actually used to always say that I never wanted kids… but after having my daughter I realized that I would like to have one or two more ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 36
    2828 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2011

I was in the never ever wanted any camp before #1 came along, and while our family doesn’t feel incomplete another wouldn’t be a terrbile thing. My husband always wanted two or so.

Post # 37
    2865 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

I always said I wanted more than one…just because I came from a larger family and I thought it would be lonely without sibilings. HOWEVER, now that we’ve had one I could be happy with just him if it didn’t work out for us to have another. I know I definitely want to enjoy the time with him before trying again.

Post # 38
    2583 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

As an only child I’ve always wanted lots of kids. I figure maybe 4ish would be a good number. Fiance is pretty content with 2. Maybe 3 depending on his mood when we discuss it, lol. I think it will largely depend on the kids you already have, actually- if you have angel children you’d probably want more, and if you have crazy hyper children you might decide to stop early. That’s what I’ve seen happen to other people IRL anyway.

Post # 39
    13094 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2010

DH wants 2-3 and I want 3-4.  I venture to bet we’ll end up with 3 but we’ll see how it all shakes out after we start having them!

Post # 40
    830 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

I originally wanted 2, a boy and a girl. Original I know, lol. Our daughter is 2.5 and baby fever has not hit me at all. I hated being pregnant, I got super sick. As my daughter gets older I find each stage way more fun than the last. I don’t really have any desire to revisit breastfeeding, pumping, hauling around a huge diaper bag etc. DH wants a boy so I’m sure we will try for another at some point. Both of us seem content with just one child for right now though. I have so much fun with my super girly girl I’m not sure what I’d do with a boy. To be honest, I’d be perfectly happy with another girl and there’s no way I’d be trying for a boy after that.

Post # 41
    1932 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2008

When we got married, I had said like 3-4 and my husband wanted more, like 6 haha. I grew up in a family with 6 kids, and he grew up with 5. We both liked our “big” families, but I don’t know if I could do that as a mom.

I’m pregnant with our first and with how hard the pregnancy has been, it’s been making me reconsider things! I couldn’t imagine going through this while having other children to care for! I spent the entire first trimester in bed pretty much, sleeping or puking. So I told my hubby we’ll get through one and talk about it again ๐Ÿ˜‰

My mom and dad had meant to stop after 2 or 3, but my mom always secretly wanted more, and eventually they had 6. Definitely not what my dad had wanted originally! haha. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 43
    6009 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: May 2009

View original reply
    @artbee:  During pregnancy with Addie, I told my husband that I never wanted to do this again.  It’s amazing how quickly we forget the negatives…  ๐Ÿ™‚

The topic ‘How are we supposed to know how many babies we want until we start having them?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors