(Closed) How are you being introduced?

posted 10 years ago in Reception
  • poll: How are you being/how were you introduced?
    Mr. and Mrs. Smith : (9 votes)
    16 %
    Mr. and Mrs. John Smith : (31 votes)
    56 %
    John and Jane Smith : (15 votes)
    27 %
  • Post # 33
    687 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2011

I think we’ll keep it simple with the Mr. & Mrs. Smith option (I don’t think the Mr. & Mrs. John Smith because it leaves me out)…. but my Fiance has such a HUGE family (and a ton of them live around the wedding town) that we will probably do a little twist when we enter the reception as the “the NEWEST Mr. & Mrs. Smith” — haha. 🙂

Post # 34
    1568 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 1996

View original reply
    @Mrs.KMM: I can understand being unwilling to accept Wikipedia as a source of authority in proving that this etiquette rule has been updated. Emily Post, however, joins Wikipedia in disagreeing with you.

http://www.emilypost.com/forms-of-address/titles/96-guide-to-addressing-correspondence

Emily Post, emphasis mine:

Addressing a Woman

Maiden name

Ms. Jane Johnson

Miss Jane Johnson*

*usually ‘Miss’ is for girls under 18

Married, keeping maiden name

Ms. Jane Johnson

Married, uses husband’s name socially

Mrs. John Kelly

Mrs. Jane Kelly*

*Nowadays this is acceptable

Ms. Jane Kelly

Much like the U.S. Constitution is a living document, subject to revised interpretation through the centuries as judges reflect upon changes in social understanding of morality, etiquette evolves. The rules you cite were correct many decades ago, but current etiquette recognizes the importance of a woman’s right to identify herself using an honorific and her first name if she so chooses. I agree that simply because everyone is doing something doesn’t make it correct, but every so often, the rules themselves change in order to better reflect a massive turn of the tide of society. 

[ETA]

View original reply
    @lilybay:Apologies for hijacking your thread! I think that you should be introduced in whatever way sounds best to you and your Fiance. Unfortunately, as you can see, this is a bit of a controversial topic, so this is one case in which the boards can’t give you a straight answer one way or the other.

Post # 35
    876 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

We’ll be introduced as Jane Smythe and John Smith (our last names sound similar and I will be keeping my last name).

Post # 36
    2530 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

Mr. and Mrs. John and Jane Smith is how we were introduced!

Post # 37
    1194 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

Mr. and Mrs. John & Jane Smith for us!

The topic ‘How are you being introduced?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors