(Closed) How did he present the ring to you, with or without box?

posted 8 years ago in Rings
  • poll:
  • Post # 92
    948 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

My ring was in the box when my husband proposed

Post # 93
    248 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: November 2014

He proposed with the box. I think he had it in his back pocket. He did mention to me afterwards that he had to practice proposing to me before hand becauce he wanted to make sure that the box and ring were facing the right way when he pulled it out lol.. he didnt want to fumble around with it or open it and box be facing upside down or whatever… I like the tradition of presenting the ring with the box. But it’s one of those details that aren’t a big deal.. What’s more important is making sure you get down on one knee and say the right words lol

Post # 94
    734 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

@plantobee:  Fiance proposed to me with the ring in a box, and when the box was opened, lights shone down on the ring illuminating it, which was amazing cause it was dark outside! Fiance carried the box in a bag of stuff he said he was “taking to his friend”. If you can find an excuse to carry something else (camera bag/picnic basket/etc), that would make it easier.

Post # 95
    706 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

@plantobee:  Mine did it with the box. I did notice the bulge– (didnt ruin it though). We were out to dinner and afterwards he went to the bathroom, and when he came out i noticed a box shape in his pocket that definitely wasnt keys, wallet, or cell phone. I got so nervous and jittery because I didnt want to ruin it that I had a suspicion!

Post # 96
    635 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

Mine did it with the box. It was in his coat pocket (It was February). I didn’t notice any bump in his pocket. I was completely caught off guard as I was convinced he was going to do it the following week when we were on vacation but nope – he did it on a random Tueday night ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 97
    37 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: June 2013

@plantobee:  Such a sweet propsal idea. Very romantic! My fiance proposed with the ring box. I had already figured out that he was going to propose (he’s not good at keeping secrets/surprising me) so I knew what he was doing. His parents live on a large piece of land with a long driveway. One Christmas day when we go to their house he stopped on the gravel driveway and told me to close my eyes. He got out and hid the ring besides an opening of trees. When we got to the house he asked me if I would go on a walk with him before everyone else showed up so we walked down the driveway, past their pond, down a trail, and when we were coming back he stopped at the opening of trees by the pond and dropped to his knee and picked up the box beside him (I don’t know how I missed walking by it the first time). I was still kinda surprised cause I hadn’t realized he had LEFT THE RING out there in the grass. It was on his parents land so it was safe and it was only out there a few minutes but I’m not sure having it there is an option for you if it’s a public area.

Post # 98
    33 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: May 2014

My fiance proposed with the ring in the box. He had the same dilema, we were on a surprise weekend getaway and had been walking around the whole day. He said he was surprised I hadn’t noticed he was walking around with his hand over his pocket.

Post # 99
    343 posts
    Helper bee

@plantobee:  mine opened the box!  But it was also March in Chicago so it was cold enough out that he was wearing a sport coat.  It was simple and personal and perfect.  

Floating lanterns sound badass!  Maybe if it’s summer just use the ring & give her the box later?  I wouldn’t have cared if he opened a box or not.  

Hope that helps!  Good luck!!

Post # 100
    2274 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

We went out to a rose garden in Portland, where we were staying for the weekend, and I brought along a suitcase, and wouldn’t tell her what was in it.  I had planned a picnic with wine and cheeses and salamies, so all of that was in the suitcase, and the ring was in one of the side pockets.  I just gave her the “no you relax, let me take care of things this time” line, so she wouldn’t happen across it rummaging in the suitcase for more crackers.  Then, when it was time to bring it out, I grabbed it while she wasn’t looking and did my thing.

Post # 101
    738 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: February 2014

@ChltBride:  omg, that pic.  I tell you, for me, seeing THAT moment of proposal, or even THAT moment of the wedding vows, just does me in.  Just something so raw, yet so thought-out and life-defining, presented all at once in that singular moment.  Probably tantamount to child-birth.  Congrats.

To OP, no box here if I recall correctly.  Then again, I was, at the time, being a pain in the arse and firmly believing ‘he would not take that step especially since he had a crash/burn in his first marriage’ (all the while he is talking about doing that next step with me, I still didn’t believe he would follow through such a big step, especially with my difficult ass).  Anyway, I digress a bit; point is, I think the official proposal came with him holding the ring and saying, “Marry me?  You are the only one for me.”  *dies all over again when I think about what I put him through yet he stilllll saved the day, ugh

Post # 102
    988 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

My DH proposed without the box. He hid the ring in his pocket (he even put cash in front of the ring in his pocket so I couldn’t see the big ole rock hehe) and took me for a walk at our favorite state park to propose. I got the box later that night.

Post # 103
    2274 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

My fiancee also tells me now she does not remember it being in a box at all.  She just remembers how she felt when I asked her.  If the surprise element is important, do what makes you feel better about that.  My big concern about having it in a box was that I’m a pretty sloppy guy, and I was worried I’d lose it!

I don’t think box or no box is what’s going to substantially change her feeling/memories about the proposal, and it certainly won’t change her answer.

Speaking of answers, be prepared.  It will take her several seconds to utter the syllable you’re waiting for.  These several seconds will take 10-20 years to unfold from your perspective.  Do your best not to go grey while you wait.  But on the plus side, whenever I’m having a bad day, I imagine her face when I showed her the ring, and then I stop being sad, and be awesome instead.  True story.

Post # 104
    33 posts
    Newbee

@sweetpotata:  It was such a special moment and one that I will never forget! I am so thankful that before he proposed he asked a passer-by to take our picture so she was snapping away while he proposed…images that I will forever treasure ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 105
    93 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

@plantobee:  I haven’t read all of the previous posts, but if you’re using lanterns, are you planning on taking her to the lake when it’s dark, or almost dark, out?  If that’s the case, you might be able to hid the box in your pocket reasonably well if that’s what you wanted to do.

My fiance proposed to me at this beautiful spot by the river in the mountains.  He got down on one knee and pulled the box out with the ring and opened it for me.  It was so incredibly romantic!

Post # 106
    95 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

My husband proposed while we were on a hike. He was wearing a jacket and probably could have hidden a box in it, but he’s a simple kind of guy. He just had the ring zipped up in a jacket pocket and when we stopped to let our pup play in a creek he came and hugged me from behind and I guess had the ring in his hand as he made a cute speech about us and then he turned me around to face him and asked me to marry him and put the ring on my finger. ๐Ÿ™‚

The topic ‘How did he present the ring to you, with or without box?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors