(Closed) How did my $20,000 wedding turn into $40,000?????????

posted 7 years ago in Money
Post # 3
5110 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 2011

Oh no!!! Im sorry you are feeling sad about this. If it is really bothering you try to scale back and really decide what is important to you. If you have your heart set on everything then you just have to suck it up and deal, but dont stress about it. Its your wedding  you should be having fun. Just remember it is one day its the marriage that lasts forever! Good luck your day is getting close!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 4
2450 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

try to think back to the last wedding you went to before you started planning yours. see what you remember from that wedding. when you are in planning mode, every little detail is important. but as a guest, do you remember the type of table covers, chairs, plates, etc?

then cut out, or downgrade, some of the elements that you wouldn’t notice or remember as a guest.

๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 5
463 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

That’s a major whoops.  I would look and see what you could scale back.  But on the other hand, if you can afford it and its not a major issue, don’t worry about it. 

Post # 6
33 posts
Newbee

Mine too! Though from $10k to $20k. SOmewhere in the middle of it, Fiance and I decided to scale back and make it what WE want. We originally wanted a small wedding in his hometown of San Diego, and were planning reception in TX for all our family & friends (its where we live now). The TX deal got WAY out of hand and so expensive so we cancelled it. It pissed off some family members, and dissapointed guests that cant travel. but it made us SO happy!

It saved us probably $11k atleast. Somehow we are still $10k over where I thought we would be but I’m happy with every dollar we are spending because its for what we really wanted.

Post # 7
3241 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Oh…..ouch! It happens though. I went over what I was originally planning as well (wanted to keep things at 15K, ended up closer to 23K). Like others have said, you can try taking a step back and seeing if there are places to cut the budget a bit. Typically what I remember from a wedding is the food, music and the venue, but that’s just me. I’d be hard pressed to remember the invitations, centerpieces, or decorations…..

Post # 8
630 posts
Busy bee

Yep, our budget doubled too. But it only went from 1000 to 2500 ๐Ÿ˜› I can’t imagine accidentally adding 20,000! But weddings are expensive, I understand.

And it’s mostly due to Fiance wanting to get really nice rings and putting it on his card

Oh also we are date twins!

Post # 9
10714 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2012

Mine went from $5000 to $8500… I’m pretty upset with myself =/ It may double by the time my wedding gets here… 

Post # 10
775 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I feel your pain! My wedding budget was $14,000 and its maxed to $25,000. I have a wandering eye. I need to stop looking for ideas because it keeps maxing out my budget. I didn’t realize when I made the budget how much food and beverages was going to be..Maybe cut out some things?

Post # 11
329 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I would make sacrifices and cut things out. Youll be glad you did it in the end. Less flowers maybe? Different kinds of flowers? Fillers make all the difference. Get cheaper filler flowers. Things like that can really change the budget. Remember, its JUST ONE DAY, you dont want the stress of that one day to carry over into your married life. 

Post # 13
1684 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

mine went from 10k to 1100 (for rings) and we’re now looking between 13 and 14k. But we added a few extras and relaxed on a few things because I got a full time job two months ago. ๐Ÿ™‚ Don’t stress if you can afford it & if it’s what you *really* want.

ETA: Also. STAY AWAY FROM ETSY. Jeez. that site is deadly.

Post # 15
172 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

i feel your pain! i wanted to spend around $20,000 and i think we were closer to $30,000 (i didn’t even want to know how much it was by the end). I did so many DIY projects and extra research to save money (which I know it helped) but weddings are so expensive! and the little things really add up!

And with a 250 guest list, $40,000 isn’t too bad! We only had 130 guests. it may be expensive, but you’ll love every bit of it in the end!

Post # 16
10714 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2012

Oh man if I included our rings and our honeymoon in the mix I wen’t wayyy over $5000! If I include everything I’ll be up to $16500…. GAH! Without including those things though I could have stayed on budget if not for my dress. =/

The topic ‘How did my $20,000 wedding turn into $40,000?????????’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors