(Closed) How did you find your makeup artist & how much did you pay total?

posted 7 years ago in Beauty
  • poll: How much did you pay for makeup?
    $1 - $200 : (26 votes)
    57 %
    $200 - $400 : (11 votes)
    24 %
    $400+ : (8 votes)
    17 %
    $0 - we all did our own : (1 votes)
    2 %
  • Post # 3
    8353 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: March 2011

We are paying $499.50 for myself and my two MOHs for both hair and makeup. I found them the first time on the local boards here on the bee. Someone else in my area was asking for recommendations from other bees. I checked them and a few others out and their reveiws and work were awesome, and then I “interveiwed” them on the phone and then again at the Seattle Wedding Show. I will be getting my trial done on the 16th of February. It is included in the cost and they will be coming to me to do the trial and then again to my venue on the day of.

As far as I know there is no tradition as to who pays. I think that etiquette dictates that if you require your “bridesmaids, the moms, bridesmaids & flower girls” to get their hair and makeup done, you would pay and if you don’t require them to have their hair and makeup, then it would be up to them to pay. Some brides gift the services to their bridal party.

Post # 4
    2116 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2011

My friend owns a salon so she’s giving me a mega discount and I’m getting hair and make up (trial and day of) for $85, it would normally be 250$ though.

Sorry, I didn’t read your whole post… I also have 5 bridesmaids that are getting hair and makeup for $60 each (also at a discounted rate, usually $75)

Yours sounds reasonable to me 🙂

Post # 5
    923 posts
    Busy bee

I’m paying $225 for my makeup. It’s airbrush, and for what I’m paying it better look awesome!! My BM’s are doing their own makeup.

Post # 6
    17 posts
    Newbee

I am paying $320 for my makeup (airbrushing) but it includes a trial, bridal portriat, and wedding day. I decided to let my bridesmaids do their own makeup.

Post # 7
    4137 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

i googled “makeup artist city” and used the knot’s featured vendors. i also asked around a bunch.

i’m paying $150 for airbrush makeup and hair for someone to come to me. everyone else would be $90 for hair and makeup. if you can afford to pay for your bms, it’s a nice gesture. if you can’t afford to pay for it, give them the option of using your hair and makeup artist, but don’t require it.

Post # 8
    463 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2010

My BIL’s friend is a makeup artist and she owed him a favour, so we got a discount.  She didn’t want any money for her work so this is what i gave her:  $100 for my makeup trial.  $200 for my day of makeup, including my mother and Maid/Matron of Honor.  The makeup for me was done via airbrushing and the makeup for my mother and Maid/Matron of Honor was just regular MAC makeup.

your quote sounds reasonable to me.

Post # 9
    831 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

I paid $675 for airbrush hair and makeup for myself (incl trial) and 3 of my girls on location (meaning they came to me). Your deal sounds awesome!! Cool

Post # 10
    2100 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

I am paying $225 ea for my Maid/Matron of Honor and I to have airbrush makeup and hair in our suite at the hotel

Post # 11
    1893 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

I’m having my makeup done by someone I’ve been going to for facials for the past few years.  She’s basically gave me half price (which she should’ve, given the amount of business I’ve thrown her way), which will end up being $300 for myself, my mother and my Maid/Matron of Honor.  That includes as many free trials playing with as many different looks as we want between now and the wedding.

First trial is Saturday!  Woo hoo!

I’m getting my hair done by someone else, who charges $150 for my hair and $75 for my mom and Maid/Matron of Honor (kind of a waste for my mom, since she’s got super short hair, but she wants it done so whatever makes her happy).  She doesn’t charge for the trial if we book with her.

Post # 12
    13 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: September 2010

for hair and makeup for me and my moh and one of my bridesmaids, and hair for 5 more bms, i paid close to $800 with tip.

Post # 13
    267 posts
    Helper bee

I looked up salons near the hotel we are staying at for our wedding online by googling the city name and “salon”, and then I went around to some in-person (we are getting married out of town and recently made a trip there) and called several.  I chose an Aveda salon, and they are doing my makeup for a steal ($25!); my hair and trial is $68 total, and bridesmaids updo’s are $55. 

Planning Bio

Post # 14
    1326 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2011 - Tre Bella, Mesa, AZ

My SIL is a makeup artist/hairstylist so I’m getting mine for free (and hers since she’s a BM). 2 MoHs will have to pay for their own or do it themselves. I have a junior Bridesmaid or Best Man (my neice and step daughter to SIL) who my SIL will probably do basic hair for free (no makeup at her age). I’ll probably tip her $50.

Post # 15
    56 posts
    Worker bee

I went to a few diffrent makeup counters in the mall and the girls charge $150 to come to you ( some stores require you buy $50 worth of the makeup though, like mac and sephora). Some salons offer makeup application as well for less than $100.

Post # 16
    41 posts
    Newbee

I found mine through local board recommendations on theknot.com .   She charges $50 trial and then $100 for bride on day of (includes individual false lashes) and $70/bm.  She brings her own MAC and Bobbi Brown makeup kit to you.

The topic ‘How did you find your makeup artist & how much did you pay total?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors