(Closed) How did you select a Honeymoon location?

posted 7 years ago in Honeymoons
  • poll: How did you decide where to go on your honeymoon? You can pick multiple choices!
    He picked the location. : (9 votes)
    4 %
    I picked the location. : (12 votes)
    5 %
    We picked the location together. : (73 votes)
    28 %
    We went somewhere we had never been before. : (61 votes)
    24 %
    We went somewhere one of us had been before. : (16 votes)
    6 %
    We went somewhere we had both already been together. : (8 votes)
    3 %
    We traveled domestically. : (16 votes)
    6 %
    We traveled abroad (to another country) : (62 votes)
    24 %
  • Post # 17
    1597 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

Our decision was pretty mutual.

We wanted to go on a cruise (Princess) because we’d been on one in 2009 and it was AMAZING. (Princess attacts mostly newlyweds and older – much older lol – clientele so it was very private, romantic, and there were barely any kids).

We also wanted to go somewhere warm since it would be cold at home, so we chose the Carribbean.

My husband went on a few cruises with his family when he was growing up, so he’d been to a few more islands than I had, so we looked for a cruise that was going to places we’d never been to before.

The first island was Princess Cays in the Bahamas (Princess’ private island) and then we went to Curacao and ARuba – AMAZING!

I can understand your fiance wanting to visit somewhere he’s never been, but if you want to visit one of those places, maybe he can compromise? Visit a place or 2 he’s been to and then maybe a place or two neither of you have been to?

Post # 19
    7397 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2012

He picked it. If it were up to me, I would have sat on a beach for a week and done nothing. However, my DH spends a lot of time travelling internationally to beach locations, and on top of that is NOT a sit on the beach and do nothing kind of guy. I do travel to where he is for work quite a bit, and so while we have trips it’s not really a vacation. Our work lives are so crazy that we just never get to go on vacation.

DH *really* wanted a ski honeymoon. We both like to ski, but he loves it. The fact that he was so excited to take a vacation if it meant going skiing, I just let him have it. We delayed our honeymoon 6 months, and spent 12 days in Vail, CO.

I know a lot of people don’t consider domestic travel for their honeymoon, because they an do that anytime. Travelling internationally for a honeymoon wasn’t a requirement for us because we do that quite a bit throughout the year anyway.

Post # 20
    249 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

We’re going to New Zealand. We’ve both traveled fairly extensively, so we wanted to be somewhere neither of us had been before (we also wanted something different and more active than the traditional beach honeymoon because beaches bore us silly). We knew we’d be honeymooning in December, and New Zealand seemed like a natural choice — gorgeous, not cold (it’s summer there), tons of stuff to do, and a good balance of relaxation/romance and adventure. 

We also considered the Galapagos (which we would have done had my fiancee not been able to get enough time off of school to do NZ), which we’ll definitely do as a vacation at some point because holy crap it looks awesome.

Post # 21
    1597 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

View original reply
    @HeartsandSparkles:  if your fiance is opposed to a cruise and  neither of you have been to Aruba, i highly, highly reccommend it. They have an international airport and tons of hotel optiobs – everything from a Holiday Inn to a Ritz Carlton. All of the beaches are public and the water is stunning, especially for snorkeling. There’s lots of shopping and restaurants within walking distance and the weather is perfect year-round. Plus they ‘re out of the hurricane belt.

honestly, we are considering taking a vacation straight to Aruba in a few years. I cried when we left. Lol

Post # 22
    442 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

Fiance and I both love travelling and have travelled a lot, both together and separately. For our honeymoon, we wanted to go somewhere where none of us had been before, and preferably somewhere “exotic”.

On the top of our list was either South America (I’ve always dreamed of going to Peru) or Asia. We eventually decided on Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur and then Borneo), because it will provide a mix of city-break with plenty of sightseeing and jungle with wildlife. Can’t wait 🙂

Post # 23
    9534 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2013

i planned the wedding, he planned the honeymoon.

we picked his #1 destination, and my #3 destination, Italy.

it was an amazing trip.  DH did a wonderful job planning.

Post # 24
    1192 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

@HeartsandSparkles:  We had a similar problem picking our honeymoon location. I’ve traveled extensively and Fiance has never been out of the country before. He desperately wanted to go to Italy, but I dragged my feet about it because I’d been a few times just in the last few years. We were able to compromise by finding a cruise that would visit Rome and Florence for him, as well as a few places I’d never been before, like Lisbon and Corsica. My suggestion would be to each write down a few places that either you’ve never been or would like to return to and see if you match on any of them. If you have your heart set on going to Hawaii, and he at least wouldn’t mind going back, then it’s worth looking into.

ETA: I just saw your post about him not wanting to be “trapped on a boat.” FI’s dad is ex-Navy and he felt the same way for a long time. Now they cruise all the time and he loves it. He says it’s completely different (which I’d imagine it is). Maybe that would help?

Post # 25
    302 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2015

Money is the biggest factor in our decision, go where we can afford.

Post # 26
    3571 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

Orignally we had wanted to go somewhere neither of us had been.. but we kept going back to the idea of going to Cancun – I had been there before with girlfriends. It didn’t both me I had been there before, I knew it’d be a new experience going with him. And since I had been there I knew what to expect and knew he’d love it. We ended up going there & I’m glad we did, we had a great time.. it was a wonderful honeymoon!

Post # 27
    9948 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2012

Lol, I checked off a lot of Boxes in that Poll.

Mr TTR & I did a 5 Week Extravaganza Once In a Lifetime Vacation that encompassed Christmas – Before our Wedding – Our Wedding – and Our Honeymoon

It saw us travel to / thru… 1 Province – 14 States – and 8 Countries

It combined a lot of things…

There were places that were old faves that we’d been before… Myrtle Beach – Savannah – Tampa – Florida Gulf Coast – Aligator Alley – The Florida Keys – San Juan – Sint Maarten – and St Thomas

Along with places that neither of us had visted previously… Birmingham – Memphis – Arkansas – Mississippi – Louisiana – New Orleans – The Florida Panhandle – St Lucia – and Antigua

And a least one place that I LOVE on earth that I wanted to show him… Barbados.

It was a combo of a Road Trip (his preferred way to travel) and a Cruise (one of my fave ways to see the world)

It was everything we wanted… and so much more.

Lol, I’d go again in an instant.

Post # 28
    477 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: January 2015

Our plan at the moment is to do a 3-6 month around the world honeymoon, so we’re both selecting lots of places!!! We both love traveling so I can’t wait!!! 

The topic ‘How did you select a Honeymoon location?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors