- 3 months ago
I am getting married to my favorite person in June 2020 and I am so excited! We already have the venue, caterer, photographer and officiant. I’m just trying to be on top of the planning timeline and budget right now.
I’m a very anxious person and I’m worried about things going wrong. I’ve also never done this before! And everything is more complicated than you think it’s going to be. These forums convinced me that a DOC would be a lifesaver. We won’t have to deal with vendors, questions or logistics on the day and can just enjoy each other and our guests. We’ll also have someone to help us in the home stretch (based on the info I’m seeing on the DOCs’ websites). Peace of mind is priceless to me, especially since I am (admittedly by choice) doing the majority of the planning.
I brought up to my frugal fiance that I’ve researched the cost of a DOC in our HCOL area and it’s a lot. Most seem to be between $1800-$2200. He’s been surprised at how expensive pretty much everything has been so far, and this was no exception. I’m not happy about it either! Keep in mind that we are paying for the wedding ourselves but we can absolutely afford this.
I’m incapable of writing a post that doesn’t turn into a novel, so here are a few quick details:
– ~150 guests invited (~60 from out of the state)
– ~$30k budget
– Ceremony and reception are in the same place
– Catering (including dessert) and possibly flowers will go through the venue
– No DJ or band, officiant is a family member, no videographer or photo booth
– We have family members who would be willing to pick up the slack, but I don’t want to burden them or put all of my faith in them
– We will have a venue coordinator who will help with some things (but it’s not the same AT ALL)
– We don’t have access to the venue for setup until that morning
I am so scared that I will come across as a brat here. I promise I’m not! I realize these boards skew wealthy and maybe my definition of “normal” is off because of that. We feel very privileged to be able to afford this wedding.
How should I explain to my fiance that this will be worth the cost? Or maybe you think it’s not worth $1700-$2200. Why not? Do you think we could manage it without having to do too much work that day? What would you do?