(Closed) How do I legally change my maiden name to my middle name?

posted 9 years ago in Names
Post # 3
177 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2008

I did something similar when I got married, but since I originally didn’t have a middle name, my new name is first.middleformermaiden.hislastname.  I got married in Hawaii so I don’t know if this works everywhere, but when I went to fill out the marriage license, the woman told me to fill in my new name just how I wanted it.  And the license was all I needed when I went to get my new SS card and driver’s license.

Post # 4
3525 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

If you want to take your maiden name as your middle name it counts as changing  your “first name” so you have to go through a legal name change.
I’m in NY State so I’m not sure what the exact procedure is in your state.
Basically I have to file a petition to change my name, appear before a judge with my intent, put a notice in the paper, then go back before the judge. Then I will be granted the legal name change.
Then I will have to go through changing my name on everything else.

It’ll run me about $250 just for the legal name change.

Post # 5
1763 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

For me, in Wisconsin, it was just as easy as taking my marriage certificate to socail security and getting a new card. they let you pick how you want your name written. I just put my original middle name and maiden name in the middle name box. I had no problems at all, I actually just got my new card this week.

I then had to take my paperwork from SS to the DMV for a new license, since that’s what’s on my SS card, they can’t really say much about it.

Post # 6
433 posts
Helper bee

@penguinsaremyfriends: It’s the same process in RI too. I ended up not keeping my maiden at all, but I called the local S.S. office and they said moving your last to the middle is very common nowadays.

Post # 7
3219 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

SO glad to see this thread! I plan on doing this too and had no clue how to do it!

Post # 8
3525 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I never realized how the process is so different by state!

I would say then for everyone your best bet is to just call YOUR local Town Clerk.

Post # 9
7429 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2009

I’m in MD, and I dropped my middle name and took my maiden as my middle. I didn’t have to do anything special. Here, you have to go to SS before you do anything else, and all’s I had to do was tell the lady how I wanted it, and she put it in the system and that was that. Once it uploads, that is your new legal name and no one can tell you otherwise.  Be forewarned though – a lot of people will try to give you 2 last names instead of 2 middle names.  Even with completely dropping my middle name, I still had issues with my insurance co where they tried to keep my middle name and give me 2 last names.  It was a little frustrating, but I finally got it corrected. That was the only one I had an issue with

Post # 10
1995 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

In this state (NC) your marriage license is proof enough to change any part of your name!  When I went they just asked me what I wanted my new name to be.  I could have changed any part of it!  I did it pretty standardly where I dropped my old middle name.  The marriage license is just the proof of reason to change your name – it doesnt say anywhere on there what your new name will be.

good luck!

Post # 11
2004 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

In the District of Columbia you just have to write in your names the way you want them. I added my maiden name as a second middle name with no trouble.

Some marriage licenses have a box for “name after marriage” and some do not. That differs state by state. I was married in Georgia, which had this box on the form, but when I changed my name in my home state (DC) all they wanted to see was the marriage certificate to show that the four names I wanted were a combination of my own names and my husband’s.

Post # 12
7693 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

In Virginia all you have to do is just add your maiden as your middle while at the SS office. I just dropped my maiden name and kept my middle name but if I had wanted to keep my maiden I would have just told them that! There was no charge and it would have all been involved in the same process I was going through anyways.

Post # 13
2 posts
  • Wedding: August 2011

All I did was fill out the SSA and DMV paperwork that way, and they changed it thus.

Post # 13
22 posts
  • Wedding: December 2014

I really wish I had read up on this prior to heading to the social security office.  I just got back and wasn’t aware that Ohio wouldn’t let me change my middle name to my maiden name.  It must just be depending on the clerk and the location of the SSA office and if you get lucky.  I asked to change my middle name to my maiden name and they said I couldn’t because my middle name had to match my birth cirtificate.  I’m pretty bummed and not really sure if there’s anythign I can do.  I’m wondering if I can go to a different social security office and see if they will change it, even though I just changed my last name?  hmmm

The topic ‘How do I legally change my maiden name to my middle name?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors