(Closed) How do we say – Kids will be given "kid's meals" at reception?

posted 8 years ago in Reception
  • poll: Feeding The Children "Kid's Meals" - What would you do?
    Assign all kids the children's meal option : (87 votes)
    55 %
    Let parents choose : (48 votes)
    30 %
    Starve the children : (23 votes)
    15 %
  • Post # 62
    361 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

@Carlasgettingmarried:  Actually, I will teach my children that its rude to create classes of guests and that if they are receiving a much lower level of hospitality than others they should be pissed.  Also, many old people cannot appreciate subtle flavors, do you give grandma a cheeseburger instead of lobster too?

Post # 63
    361 posts
    Helper bee

In addition to a kids meal why not offer smaller portions of tge adult meal as a choice?  And for the love of god don’t make it mandatory, give parents a choice.

Post # 64
    2294 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2011

This thread makes me so happy i didn’t have kids at my wedding, but if I decided to, I’d say that it’s perfectly acceptable for kids 10 and under to be given a kids’ meal, of 2 or 3 options. Newsflash for parents: your kid WILL survive without steak, lobster, or chicken marsala. If its that big of a deal, let them eat off your plate. It’s not about being a 2nd class citizen, and you really can’t properly compare children to the elderly. Not every kid eats like a bird, but the majority of youngsters DO and I’d be damned if I’m going to blow $120 on a plate that has 2 bites taken out of it because mommy feels entitled.

Post # 65
    175 posts
    Blushing bee

I think that MOST people will choose the kid’s meal for their child. And if they don’t, they must have a good reason for not doing so. You will likely only have a few kids who get the adult’s meal, at very most. Let the parents decide what their kids will eat, I really think that most if not all of them will chose the kid’s meal anyway.

Post # 66
    1682 posts
    Bumble bee

@BuBuBubbles:  Good thing there aren’t any invited to my wedding! Wouldn’t want to insult the 4-year-old by giving him chicken fingers instead of a filet and salmon. 

Post # 67
    28 posts
    Newbee

In our invites, we added a slip of paper that said what the main meal would be (filet and chicken) and that vegetarian and children’s meals are available and to indicate if needed on the response card.  It actually totally slipped our minds when we did the invites and we weren’t going to have it reprinted.  We added it in all invites.  

Post # 68
    363 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

@Sloaner:  this is helpful, thank you!

i am following because of the OP’s original question, not this ridiculous debate going on throughout the thread.

Post # 69
    361 posts
    Helper bee

@musician32992:  1.  We aren’t talking about 4 year olds, we’re talking about older kids.  2.  Why can’t a smaller portion of the adult meal be an option for kids, in addition to chicken strips and just let their parents decide and indicate the choice on the RSVP?  3.  Making it mandatory for kids up to 12 is a great way to embarrass a guest.  

Post # 70
    754 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

@LilRhodyGem:  We have 6 kids in that awkard 10-13 age range. I just asked their parents to ask the kids what they wanted. 2 kids wanted the steak adult meal. 4 wanted the kids meal. That way I know i’m not paying for anything uncessary and everyones happy!

Post # 71
    2393 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

Our kids meal was chicken fingers and fries.  A huge hit, except for the one parent that previously told me she wanted her child to have the filet mignon. LOL so ridic!

I think your wording is fine.

Post # 73
    946 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

We’re giving anyone under 10 a kids meal (which will only be 1 or 2 kids both under 5 years, but we would do the same either way) and there is only one option.  On our RSVP is a line to write in any food allergies or special diets, so even if little Timmy is a vegan our caterer can figure it out.

Post # 74
    754 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

@LilRhodyGem:  Yeah, i agree. There are two really young kids (5 and 3) going as well and I didn’t give a choice for them – it is obvious that they arent getting a steak. They prob wont be able to finish the kids meal. It was just the pre-teens that I personally contacted and asked their parents. 

Post # 75
    109 posts
    Blushing bee

@LilRhodyGem:  On there r.s.v.p. number of guest and number of children.

Post # 76
    241 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

We had two kids at our wedding, my husband’s nephews…whom are picky children and would NOT have touched the adult meal with a ten foot pole…..so they got the kids meals which was chicken fingers and fries MADE at the club….they were not frozen ….

I personally would just give them chicken fingers and fries…the portions I had were huge for the boys….so they would not starve, plus they had sandwiches and veggies in the bridal party suite before the ceremony so they were not starving…..then there was the cupcakes and pizza at night….

Although one did start stealing my sister’s dessert (she has food issues, a LOT of them, and was way more of a pain than the kids)….she actually sat at the table and didn’t tell the server that she was the one at the table who had allergies and got given the wrong salad then got mad….of course the server corrected it right away….they had all the info, but you need to tell them too!

Anyways, yeah, I would just do the kids meals, and if people don’t like it then they can share their meal with their child….

The topic ‘How do we say – Kids will be given "kid's meals" at reception?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors