(Closed) How do you address an invitation to……..

posted 10 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
1136 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

i would simple write to

  • mr _______ _________
  • Mrs______ ________
  • Miss ______ ________ 

i feel no need to complicate things maybe use the rank for your military guest tho 

Post # 4
6994 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

i found this helpful


1) for the enlisted military i would do : (whatever there rank may be)

Sgt. John Doe and Mrs. Doe

2) brother and sister i would do

Mr. first name Last name

Ms. First name last name

adress blah blah blah

3) Unmarried couples who do not live together or live together. Send to the person you know best,

Ms. First name last name and Guest

4)Two men or women over 18 who live together — address either alphabetical by last name or to the closest friend first

Ms. First name last name

Ms. Frist name last name



Post # 5
271 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

1.  Rank of Person (Major, Sargent, Captain etc)  & Mrs Husband First Name Last Name: Major & Mrs John Smith


2.  Separate invites would be proper


3.  Miss Friends Name & Guest


4. Separate invites would be proper, but if postage/cost an issue 

Miss Sister #1

Miss Sister #2

Post # 6
629 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Here are my thoughts, but I’m not sure that I’m totally miss manners…  🙂

1.) An enlisted military member and his civilian spouse – Officer (whatever his/her rank) John Doe and Mrs. Jane Doe

2.) A brother and a sister – Mr. John Doe (one invite)  Ms. Jane Doe (separate invite)

3.) A boyfriend and girlfriend when the girlfriend is the actual invited person and the boyfriend is invited out of courtesy  – Ms. Jane Doe and Mr. John Doe

4.) 2 sisters who live in the same house, not the same age – Ms. Jane Doe (one invite) Ms. Jennie Doe (separate invite)

Post # 7
642 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

  1. You only use military titles for officers when addressing a wedding invitation envelope.  If he/she is just a private, you would just use Mr./Ms.  My brother is in the Army, but not an officer, so his invite was simply addressed Mr. John Doe.
  2. What 
    View original reply
    @totheislnds: said is correct, address brother and sister on separate lines.  If they have the same last name, put the sister first.  If they have different last names, do it alphabetically.
  3. Since you know and are inviting your girlfriend (and her boyfriend as a guest) you can address this several ways (and depending on whether or not you use inner envelopes).  If you have inner envelopes and they DO NOT live together, address the outer envlope to your friend and put both names (please don’t use “and guest”) on the inner envelope.  If they live together, put her name first and his name on the line below hers.  
  4. For the two sisters, it’s actually appropriate to put them both on the same line like so…Misses Jane and Nancy Doe.

Post # 11
6994 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

View original reply
@MrsNeutrino: no need to write canada

address it the same way you normally would

111 Fern Circle

Pickering, Ontario L1X 2N9


i do shipping to canada all the time.

Post # 14
3351 posts
Sugar bee

Third street would be written out in words.  This is true for numbers less then 100.

Post # 15
642 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

View original reply

Personally, for families I prefer to write it as such:

Mrs. and Mrs. John Smith

Joe, Nancy and Jane (order of age, oldest to youngest).  

If you have innner envelopes, just put Mr. and Mrs. John Smith on the outer and the inner should read Mr. and Mrs. Smith (you drop the John) and the second line would have the childrens’ first names in age order.

For your married friend, it doesn’t matter that you know her best.  Still put Mr. and Mrs. John Smith (unless you plan to address envelopes less formally and put Jane and John Smith).

For your Maid/Matron of Honor, just address the envelope to her.  You can express to her that she can bring a date the next time you see or speak to her.  She can RSVP with her date’s name should she have one at the time.

Divorced woman and daugther.  Is the daughter over 18?  If so, she should get her own invite.  If not, simply address the envelope with the surname the woman currently uses (whether it’s her maiden name or old married name…I have a friend whose mother has been divorced from the re-married–yep!–father for over 15 years and never changed back to her maiden name!!!) and put her daugther’s name, Miss Catherine, below that if you’re not using inner envelopes.

Hope this helps!

The topic ‘How do you address an invitation to……..’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors